You are a new brewer and you want to impress not beer connaisseurs with an ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ed_brews_now

Reaction score
I think (you might have already too) hit on a happy medium that impresses most non-beer connaisseurs: a not too bitter Amber English Ale.

It seems to be the fruitiness of the yeast profile (I used Safale S-04) and the residual sweetness because I don't think there is complete attenuation that appeal to a lot of people (women too). Also it is very clear.

The way I suggest to serve it is to first tell them the beer might not taste as he/she would expect a beer to taste (lower expectations -- don't hype up expectations). Then serve it is very cold. Then the taster will not taste the fullness of the ale. As the beer warms up the fullness comes out slowly and the drinker will not realize he subtle changes in the flavors, but will continue being accustomed to the flavours. When he she finishes -- offer him/her a Corona or any other BMC you have. Then they will realize that they have gone through a new gustatory experience. If they want another of your brew -- tell them you are running out and they can't have it. Unfulfilled desire is one way to get them to want it more.

Oh yes. The other brew I made was strictly a pilsner but with yeast with Belgian/hogarten flavour profile. It had the taste of hoegarten. I liked it, but most people preferred the Englsih Ale. But I like it.

I take great pride ( and a little awe ) that I've persuaded my SWMBO to move away from bud light and enjoy my brews as well as beers like hop devil and Pliny!

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Good work man. Spread the word. Fight the good fight. Charge a cover. Brew more beer.

People will take your homebrew more seriously if you label the bottles (or keg). Unlabelled bottles with an initial written in Sharpie by hand on the cap create a totally different impression.

Forget those people! I've given up trying to convert BMC people to good beer.
There are grown men who'd rather eat hot dogs and chicken fingers than good food, too.

Captain Damage said:
People will take your homebrew more seriously if you label the bottles (or keg). Unlabelled bottles with an initial written in Sharpie by hand on the cap create a totally different impression.

I must have been lucky. The people I handed out bottles to didn't care if there was a label. They were more impressed of the cap. It wasn't a twist off lol. When I went to kegs they were impressed of the keg set up. Nothing to do with labels to me. It is hard to get bmc people to get the idea that bmc is the best beer out there lol. I always ask what there go to beer is first. If they say a bmc then I tell them they may not like my brew. If they don't like it and you do then all the more for you.

Back