yoopers dfh 60 min ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

packman

Reaction score
Yesterday I made yoopers dog fish head 60 min ipa recipe and started it fermenting before I went to work on graveyard shift. When I left there was no actiion yet. But when I got home I could bearly find the glass I was blowing off into. I cleaned everything up, watched a little tv and checked on it before bed and it was hidden again. So I cleaned up again and went to bed. After a 7 hour nap I rechecked it guess what buried again. I guess the next time I make this I will get a bucket to catch the blow off haha. I can hardly wait to taste this because I got a lot of cleaning up invested.

same thing happend to me... now i only use a bucket for the blow off and it works soooo much better and no mess

Why not just start your beer in a bucket instead of a carboy? That's what I do, and I only need an air lock. Plus you lose a lil beer that way and who wants to do that?

Why not just start your beer in a bucket instead of a carboy? That's what I do, and I only need an air lock. Plus you lose a lil beer that way and who wants to do that?

Whats the volume difference between a 6.5 gallon carboy and bucket? Nothing....

So it doesn't matter if its a bucket or carboy as long as the volumes are the same.

Also I didn't see anywhere where he said he was using a bucket or carboy. People were saying they are using a bucket as the blow off container vs. a glass. Search around the site and youll see many people blowing the lids off their buckets when the air lock gets clogged. You really need to use a blow off setup no matter what, its the only safe route to go.

Whats the volume difference between a 6.5 gallon carboy and bucket? Nothing....

So it doesn't matter if its a bucket or carboy as long as the volumes are the same.

Also I didn't see anywhere where he said he was using a bucket or carboy. People were saying they are using a bucket as the blow off container vs. a glass. Search around the site and youll see many people blowing the lids off their buckets when the air lock gets clogged. You really need to use a blow off setup no matter what, its the only safe route to go.

I always use an air lock. After 14 years of brewing I've only had the lid blow off once. What a mess that was. I think it was my 3rd or 4th batch.
So I'm catching on that a lot of guys don't use an air lock. Whats the method or do you have a pic?
Thanks

MaddBaggins said:
I always use an air lock. After 14 years of brewing I've only had the lid blow off once. What a mess that was. I think it was my 3rd or 4th batch.
So I'm catching on that a lot of guys don't use an air lock. Whats the method or do you have a pic?
Thanks

I simply put my standard siphon tubing through the air lock hole in the lid and the other end of the tube in to some sanatizer. I use this for a week or so and then throw on an airlock. I spent an entire day cleaning half fermented wort off of my ceiling (ceiling paint stout) one time and have not used an airlock since during the first week.

I always use an airlock too, but I usually use a bucket. The difference is the wide headspace of a bucket, compared to the narrow headspace of a carboy, I guess.

I did need a blow off tube once, in the summer of 2006. It was a wheat beer that got a bit warmer than I wanted (over 70 degrees) and it got nearly explosive and I had to use a blow off tube. Other than that, I haven't needed one. If you have enough headspace in your fermenter, and the temperature is under control, you don't need a blow off tube. Of course, if you use one, that's fine too. It's just a matter of preference.

I simply put my standard siphon tubing through the air lock hole in the lid and the other end of the tube in to some sanatizer. I use this for a week or so and then throw on an airlock. I spent an entire day cleaning half fermented wort off of my ceiling (ceiling paint stout) one time and have not used an airlock since during the first week.

Ahh, I get it.
I just use a 6.5 pale for primary with the airlock. The only time a lid blew of was a honey wheat beer. I guess there was a little too much action going on in that bucket for a measly airlock.

Latest posts

Back