Yooper Giveaway

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's a sentence I use to demonstrate Northern Wisconsin/Yooper-Speak. Read this in your best "up nort', dere hey" accent:

The other day, me and Gene was fishing over by Moose Lake, and Gene hooked a muskie that was, oh fer cry-yie, pridner a couple, three foot.

Me, you and my beautiful wife could sit around drinking beer and talk about our mutual love of Eddie Vedder.

There's a sentence I use to demonstrate Northern Wisconsin/Yooper-Speak. Read this in your best "up nort', dere hey" accent:

The other day, me and Gene was fishing over by Moose Lake, and Gene hooked a muskie that was, oh fer cry-yie, pridner a couple, three foot.

Ya der hey, for cripes sake. It was da monster of da deep, doncha know? We had a couple two tree beers first, und dat dere fish grew whiles we was having dem beers. It scairt us, doncha know?

Den Ollie said no more beers for him cuz youse guys taught he was crazed. Cripes.

Yooper that der conversation sounds like one between the wife and her brotter who's straight off cape bretton island in nova scotia. Except your using too many consanents and not enough vowels, spit and rum. You could come brew with me. I'm right at the base of the rockies surrounded by trout filled lakes and the glorious northern light to watch as we drink wonderfull ales while watching the best show on earth.

I hear the crappys are bitin out by the lake eh.

Why aren't the crappie in the water? Or is it that they only start really biting when they are by the lake somehow torqued by not being in the lake? All kinds of weird things going on up north.

Between the yoopers with whips and the biting fish on land all the funny talking I don't think I will ever go up there.

I really wanted to link some of the local TV commercials on tv6. Couldn't find any. Believe me some yooper accents are worse than others.

I do not have one, of course. But the rest of youse guys do! Plus, I already linked to Da Yoopers' "Second week of deer camp" video, so they know what we look and sound like.

I pretty much look like a lumberjack, big and burly, if you squint.

Ya der hey, for cripes sake. It was da monster of da deep, doncha know? We had a couple two tree beers first, und dat dere fish grew whiles we was having dem beers. It scairt us, doncha know?

Den Ollie said no more beers for him cuz youse guys taught he was crazed. Cripes.

Uff da!

Screw all that!! It was -14° Last night I want to sit on that dock and fish. Really miss the one to two weeks of winter (below freezing at night) of the ft Walton Beach Navarre beach area of fl.

It aint gonna unthaw anytime soon. Grab a spud, some picks (safety an all), couple two tree tip-ups and a couple of jumbos and head out an so.

I'd take you crabbing on the Chesapeake Bay and introduce you to the Eastern Shore way of crabbing! You really are making me jealous as I have about 5 months to wait to eat some.

Let's see if I won Yooper for a day/weekend you could help me brew, we'd hit the Boulevard tour and a couple of micro brew pubs for some tasting. Then Melana would help us with dinner and homemade bread! Then we could chat into the wee hours. Fun.

How long does this contest run? Before long the lakes will thaw and I won't be able to get good Yooper ice fishing tips, like how to keep your tip-up from freezing, and how to drill a good hole.

How long does this contest run? Before long the lakes will thaw and I won't be able to get good Yooper ice fishing tips, like how to keep your tip-up from freezing, and how to drill a good hole.

I'm pretty sure you've kept your tip-up from freezing without help from me.

That there is good clean family humor. And Homer, I think you missed the memo on "unthaw". yer bound ta' confuse everyone out der' on the ice using dat' sorta' language fer cripes sake eh.

I thought I had it understood good. Lakes are unthawed now, thawed in the summer when it warms up for 2 months...

Before long the lakes will thaw

Ya see? Here was your blunder. That seems to be a proper use of the word.

I thought I had it understood good. Lakes are unthawed now, thawed in the summer when it warms up for 2 months...

No. You see, melting is unthawing... Its easy. Just take what makes sense and reverse it. You are right about the two warm months though.

Now, for your Yooper lesson of the day, I would like you to use "frozen", "thaw" and "unthaw" in a proper UP sentence. Please include as many "eh's" and "fer cripes sake's" as necessary to make it seem authentic.

I would love to win a "Brew with Yoop Day". On your way back to the UP, come through Dallas and we can make it happen!

Now you're talking!

Yoop, that would be the mistake of a lifetime. Trust me. Ginger looks older than me (but actually younger), has a fake hip and would make you do all of the heavy lifting. :D He's my friend and knows I'm joking

After that you can stop off in Plano :tank:

No, no, no. Think west Yoop.

I've seen this guy around. Careful...

See Yoop. Randar, shecky and AMonkey can all confirm this as well.

You and Bob swing west through Peoria, Arizona and I'll cook you a nice Szechuan dinner (meat/veggies of your choice), brew inside (electric but only if you want to) and show you some ruins out by the lake most visitors miss. Naturally beer will be readily available (I know Bob loves his PA's / IPA's). After breakfast the next morning we'll send you on your way with a thermos of Mocha Java that's to die for.

To sweeten the deal, I can try to get Soper, AZ_IPA, JuanMoore and azscoob over as well. I know, I know, I'm going all out but we could hit the local breweries that evening.

Trace

I would be real careful looking at "ruins" with Whut. They could be old buildings. They could could be old bodies. He's been around so long, the possibilities are endless. Plus, if you go to his house, bed time would be 730. He's old as dirt. And at my house, i can get Zuljin and TxCrash to come over. Wait. Nevermind. Scratch that.

Yooper has enough 'friends' on the HBT that she only would need to be in Iron River a few months out of the year. She could just drive to the most pleasant weather, stay a while, then move on when the weather turns.

Back