Yooper Giveaway

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f16/giveaway-yopener-513310/ took a wrong turn based on a similarity to "Yooper". For a minute, I thought I was being auctioned off. :D

But then, I thought, "Wouldn't that be fun?!?!" Winner (or loser, depending on how you look at it) would get me for a visit. I could come brew with you, drink your beer, and eat your food. That would make me the winner out of that, for sure!

Since I'm not really being given away, I think it would be fun to have a 'virtual Yooper giveaway'. You tell me what you'd do if you got a Yooper for a day. Or, if you have no use at all for a Yooper for a day, nominate someone else who has to put up with me- and tell us why!

:ban:

You keep posting pictures of beautiful blue crabs and you'll get me for a day

I have crabs now, you know..............................
crabs.JPG

I'm heading out in a few minutes to empty the traps, as a matter of fact!

You're really making me regret my move from coastal SC to Tennessee.... This is the kind of day that I would have made it halfway to work and then gone fishing instead.

We would brew up a batch, you can tell me everything I could do better. We could taste some brews (if I have them carbonated! I have 3 ready to be kegged but have been lazy, in the mean time I have drunk all of the 2 brews that were on tap.

We could taste some of my wines. 6 to choose from.

I would let you eat my food.... If you cooked.

If it snows again you can help me clear it out!!!

Or you could bring some of those crabs, I love crabs!!!

Last edited:
It may be tough to give a yooper away around here. Most of us are a bit crabby this time of year (unless we are basking in Texas sunshine) and we would go through your beer supply in no time. Days are getting longer though and maybe even a touch warmer. Yooper is about the best example of a yooper though. If there were a giveaway, she would represent us well;)

It may be tough to give a yooper away around here. Most of us are a bit crabby this time of year (unless we are basking in Texas sunshine) and we would go through your beer supply in no time. Days are getting longer though and maybe even a touch warmer. Yooper is about the best example of a yooper though. If there were a giveaway, she would represent us well;)

Yes, if I was in the UP, I'd be pretty crabby right now too.

Yes, if I was in the UP, I'd be pretty crabby right now too.

I am happy for you that you're not. It has actually not been so bad compared to last year. I think I am coming out of my funk early. I have even been close to halfway productive lately. We miss Moti this winter but Lumpy doesn't.

I just need you to brew me some beer and cook me dinner while I sit around drinking beer all day. :D Oh, and the pleasure of your company, or whatever. That's not too much to ask, is it?

Just for the record: this comment is not because you're a woman. I'm no sexist. I will gladly let ANY homebrewtalk member brew me beer and cook me dinner while I sit around drinking beer all day, regardless of sex, race, religion, orientation, or preference in pickup trucks. :D

But admittedly, the female brewers are easier on the eyes.... ;)

Just for the record: this comment is not because you're a woman. I'm no sexist. I will gladly let ANY homebrewtalk member brew me beer and cook me dinner while I sit around drinking beer all day, regardless of sex, race, religion, orientation, or preference in pickup trucks. :D

But admittedly, the female brewers are easier on the eyes.... ;)

All taken in good fun and I am sure I can speak for Yooper on that. I laughed because you would probably find the roles reversed and be happy for it.

I think it would be just a typical Milwaukee Saturday - tour Miller Brewing, tour Milwaukee Brewing Co., tour Lakefront Brewery, then get ingredients from the Northern Brewer retail store and brew while listening to the Brewer game.

And cheese.

You know what I was just thinking? YOU would be a better Yooper than me to win.

Not only can you drink beer nearly as well as I can, you are able to build the winner an electric brewery! All I can do is blab, blab, blab about beer and brewing- but not only are you handsome, you're handy as well!

Oh, and you smoke some awesome meat. So your cooking skills are pretty cool as well. You can make good wine, too. You might not be able to shuck oysters as well, or to filet fish as well, or to shoot deer as well, but you'll get there. :p

Not only can you drink beer nearly as well as I can, you are able to build the winner an electric brewery! All I can do is blab, blab, blab about beer and brewing- but not only are you handsome, you're handy as well!

Be honest, is he Red Green?

That would rock!

I would totally brew a nice double batch of an IPA we could both agree on - perhaps Zombie Dust clone. Or maybe a single batch of an Imperial Stout we could share the bottles of a year from now.

I have a big green egg and a memphis pellet grill (top shelf pellet smoker) and I'd BBQ up whatever suits your fancy - you call it, ribs, steaks, my favorite teriyaki chicken recipe (tis srsly unbelievable!)

got 5 taps all stocked for refreshments of course.

You'd have to deal with my totally awesome doggies though - Owen the yellow Labrador and Maddie the Mastiff (AKA Mad Dog)

come brew with me yoop!

Oh, and you smoke some awesome meat. So your cooking skills are pretty cool as well. You can make good wine, too. You might not be able to shuck oysters as well, or to filet fish as well, or to shoot deer as well, but you'll get there. :p

Awww...now I'm blushing. Wait, Naw...it's just the frostbite. You are a better prize in a yooper giveaway. You will not convince me or anyone else otherwise.

Yes, that is exactly who I was referencing- you got my hero worship for Red Green, and CBC!!!!!! Although, Lschiavo doesn't have the affinity for duct tape that both Red Green and I do......................

That would rock!

I would totally brew a nice double batch of an IPA we could both agree on - perhaps Zombie Dust clone. Or maybe a single batch of an Imperial Stout we could share the bottles of a year from now.

I have a big green egg and a memphis pellet grill (top shelf pellet smoker) and I'd BBQ up whatever suits your fancy - you call it, ribs, steaks, my favorite teriyaki chicken recipe (tis srsly unbelievable!)

got 5 taps all stocked for refreshments of course.

You'd have to deal with my totally awesome doggies though - Owen the yellow Labrador and Maddie the Mastiff (AKA Mad Dog)

come brew with me yoop!

Ok, here's the thing. I would come, and bring toby- but I'd have to go to IDAHO. That might be ok in June, but not so much right now!

Oh, and I would so bring Toby:
toby1.JPG

Anyone who starts off a sentence with this admission "I have crabs now, you know.............................." would worry me a bit but since I'm of the same gender as you, it shouldn't be an issue! :)

So, you come here, we'll put you up in the cottage with your own bathroom and everything. We're less than a mile to the beach, it's been around 68* here for the past week or so. I just ordered up the spices from Penzeys to make sausage, which hopefully will be delivered tomorrow. Friday I am going to Whole Foods to do a secret shop which means I have a $50 gift card to get anything I want!

I'm thinking enough pork to make the sausage, a bottle of Silver Oak Napa Valley Cab Sauv, maybe some great cheeses to sample with it. We'll talk about beer (but not brew any), eat cheese, drink wine, make sausage, throw a pork butt in the smoker, make some yogurt in the Excaliber dehydrator, I've still got some awesome Chile Colorado and pico de gallo and sliced fresh ripe avocado with tree-ripened Bearss limes from the courtyard, we have a BUNCH of ripe Meyer lemons which you can help me decide how best to utilize, and I have CHOCOLATE.

So what time should I expect you?? :)

Oh and PS - bring Toby. Tequila and St. Pauli Girl, the cats, will make sure he knows what part of the yard he's allowed to inhabit.

A long brew session on the beach...something ridiculous, maybe triple decocted, 12 hop additions, and boiled for hours. For dinner, start with Ceviche / sushi. Seafood and other goodies with strip steaks over a wood fire, then diving into tons of crazy beers and some obscure wine. Something beer centric for desert (carrot cake?) Talk about brewing, cooking, wine making, competitions, festivals. Does Bob smoke cigars (or do you), a nice pipe works well too (in CO we have other smoking choices, not into that myself but also not offended by it).

Next morning, soak up all the bad stuff with a great Mexican breakfast.

I have lots of friends who brew, the sad part is everyone with jobs, family, etc. is too busy to set aside a day / night for such a celebration. 10y and I retire from my nasty travel for work!

Well we would start with a brew morning. I would have my daughter there to take notes so I didn't miss anything important.

Snacking on deer jerky and dried apples while we brew. Have some deer sausage and homemade hominy for lunch.

After lunch we could head to the mountains. See if that pretty Jeep of yours can really climb the rocks.

Then we need to finish the day by stopping at some of the breweries in Fort Collins and Loveland. Testing some of the local brews and food to see how they compare to UP or Texas.

Yes, that is exactly who I was referencing- you got my hero worship for Red Green, and CBC!!!!!! ...

ahhh ... I'd take Yooper out on a date to Possum Lodge.

Yah know, they make homebrew at the lodge?

I hear Old Man Sedgwick makes a popular brew ... Sedgewick's Ale is half of the popular "Back End Van" ... similar to a Black & Tan but with Sedgewick's on the botton and an unusually heavy and somewhat mysterious stout provided by Winston Rothschild III who apparently has quite the brewing set-up made from extra parts from his work truck.

Red Green is known for a number of beers, particularly a Red Green Ale which, like Red himself is quite bitter having an IBU somewhere north of 100, and has an aroma of juniper and pine trees.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gKUJ8twMOU[/ame]

Some brewing after pulling shrimp pots. Maybe help me come up with a plan for starting all grain brewing. That would work.

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0678.JPG

Well, I lose. As you already know, I'm pretty boring and I don't have a lake or fish or anything.

With two large dogs, at least Toby would be entertained!

We could plan a brewday, but history has shown that rather than brewing, all we end up doing is talking, drinking beer, and playing with our balls.

Screw all that!! It was -14° Last night I want to sit on that dock and fish. Really miss the one to two weeks of winter (below freezing at night) of the ft Walton Beach Navarre beach area of fl.

Well, I lose. As you already know, I'm pretty boring and I don't have a lake or fish or anything.

We could plan a brewday, but history has shown that rather than brewing, all we end up doing is talking, drinking beer, and playing with our balls.

Playing with balls is quite entertaining but we should plan to brew this summer. I have been on a brewing hiatus for a while so a summer brew session sounds very enjoyable right about now.

Well, we did brew a couple of times, remember? Remember that one time we all told Bob, "Watch this pot for us, ok? We'll be right back" and then we jumped on the boat. We came back an hour later, and Bob was sitting on a lounge chair, drinking a beer, and he said, "Hey, that pot boiled over a long time ago. I bet it's near empty now!" Um, yeah, thanks for watching it for us! :D

And, I don't recall you playing with your balls much. I remember you standing there holding them, but I don't remember you doing much else with them. I know you had blue balls, though.

But it's true that our 'brewdays' don't seem to involve much brewing at all. We're too busy talking, drinking beer, eating, and repeating that same scenario over and over and over.

Well, we did brew a couple of times, remember? Remember that one time we all told Bob, "Watch this pot for us, ok? We'll be right back" and then we jumped on the boat. We came back an hour later, and Bob was sitting on a lounge chair, drinking a beer, and he said, "Hey, that pot boiled over a long time ago. I bet it's near empty now!" Um, yeah, thanks for watching it for us! :D

And, I don't recall you playing with your balls much. I remember you standing there holding them, but I don't remember you doing much else with them. I know you had blue balls, though.

But it's true that our 'brewdays' don't seem to involve much brewing at all. We're too busy talking, drinking beer, eating, and repeating that same scenario over and over and over.

Sounds like a perfect brew day to me except maybe the ball holding part. Don't really want anything near them while there are boiling pots around. Blanched balls anyone?
And who said a watched pot never boils?

Is there a problem with Yoopers that is not covered in the definition of Yooper I found? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/sometimes-you-just-have-shake-you-head-515298/
Or are they just hard to train? Or is this a better question for this thread? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/potty-posting-486776/
I did not read that thread because like the whip you are brandishing it kinda scares me!

No, not really. Except, they are from another country, sort of. They speak like Canadians, kind of, and wear clothes like tchuks and choppers and swampers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yooper_dialect

"So, den, we go Green Bay, eh? You come with?" would be a common expression for example.

No, not really. Except, they are from another country, sort of. They speak like Canadians, kind of, and wear clothes like tchuks and choppers and swampers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yooper_dialect

"So, den, we go Green Bay, eh? You come with?" would be a common expression for example.

Crap! More stuff to look up! (See above thread) I did my learning today. I should be taking a nap.

Back