yo-yoing lager temperatures. What can I expect from this beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cro Magnon

Reaction score
I decided to attempt my first lager (BIAB). Just a clean pilsner - 100% pilsner malt and saaz, that's it. Saflager W 34/70.

I have no fancy equipment whatsoever. Really elementary setup of putting the fermenter in a wide bucket filled with water, replacing frozen PET bottles to keep it cold.

Thing is, I didn't realise just how often I'd need to replace the PET bottles. It comes down to about 12-14 C and then rises to between 18-19C in a matter of like half an hour (unless my thermometer is wrong). So yeah....it's been fermenting 3 days so far at between 13-19C (yes yes amateur I know 😅 )

So basically what can I expect this to taste like? Is there any risk of a stalled fermentation? Any tips on how to regulate the temperature better with this basic setup?

Note: I didn't take any hydrometer readings as I do small batches and this was half of my regular small batch (about 4 litres)....just an experiment basically.

I was so excited about brewing lagers...bought a whole bunch of malts...and this has been such a pain and can't imagine doing another one. :(

I wouldn't be too worried about a stalled fermentation. It's even likely you had a faster than normal fermentation. But if you were hitting 19C early in fermentation, you might expect higher than normal levels of esters. OTOH, Fermentis claims incredibly even performance across a wide temperature range for 34/70.

You should be ok, 34/70 is known to be a very forgiving lager yeast. I routinely ferment with 34/70 at 62-64° and dont have issues. Let it ride!

:thumbsup:
Great to know! Hopefully it forgives me and the beer doesn't exact a yo-yoing revenge upon me.

I wouldn't be too worried about a stalled fermentation. It's even likely you had a faster than normal fermentation. But if you were hitting 19C early in fermentation, you might expect higher than normal levels of esters. OTOH, Fermentis claims incredibly even performance across a wide temperature range for 34/70.
Oh that's great....well it's an experiment for me anyway..I'll make a note of all the off flavours if any...Hopefully the esters will surprise me!

Just keep in mind, since you are excited, that lagers really benefit from aging, even modestly. After fermentation and D-rest are complete, and carbonating warm (if you are doing that), let it spend an absolute minimum of 2 weeks cold before even sniffing around it. Week 3 will be another big jump in quality, with things settling into a long term groove at week 4.

From there, if it's not already clear and clean, it will continue to improve at a much slower rate for another couple/few months.

Rushing the conditioning/cold storage phase of lagers is rarely worthwhile.

Just keep in mind, since you are excited, that lagers really benefit from aging, even modestly. After fermentation and D-rest are complete, and carbonating warm (if you are doing that), let it spend an absolute minimum of 2 weeks cold before even sniffing around it. Week 3 will be another big jump in quality, with things settling into a long term groove at week 4.

From there, if it's not already clear and clean, it will continue to improve at a much slower rate for another couple/few months.

Thanks for the encouragement! I definitely planned to lager for at least 4 weeks. After that will keep a few bottles for a while longer to experiment. It's the fermentation phase that's a problem for me cos I can't control the temperature too well. However if the lagering makes up for some of the flavour imbalances that would be great.

BTW @McKnuckle .....how do I know if there's enough health yeast before I carbonate....or if I need to repitch?

You shouldn't have to worry at all about pitching more yeast. That's only a factor after either extended aging or a high ABV. Go with what you've got!

Before I obtained a chest freezer, I used a 24" x 24" cardboard box with 1" foam insulation on the inside and sealed on the inside with duct tape. 1 and 2 liter frozen water bottles fit in the corners of the box with the carboy in there. I kept the box in my chilly basement and I could easily maintain 10 degrees F below ambient temperature by changing the water bottles every day. I could adjust the temperature by using more or less ice and changing it out more frequently or less.
I fermented lagers like this for several years and they came out pretty good.
There are several you tube videos showing DIY fermentation chambers with insulation board and ice.

Before I obtained a chest freezer, I used a 24" x 24" cardboard box with 1" foam insulation on the inside and sealed on the inside with duct tape. 1 and 2 liter frozen water bottles fit in the corners of the box with the carboy in there. I kept the box in my chilly basement and I could easily maintain 10 degrees F below ambient temperature by changing the water bottles every day. I could adjust the temperature by using more or less ice and changing it out more frequently or less.
I fermented lagers like this for several years and they came out pretty good.
There are several you tube videos showing DIY fermentation chambers with insulation board and ice.
Thanks a lot for sharing the info....Did you fix the insulation yourself or is it some kind of box that came with insulation. Nonetheless will check out the DIY videos. I suppose if it's covered it would make a huge difference...The bucket i'm using is just open so obviously I lose (or gain rather) temperature really quick...I suppose some sort of igloo type cooler,if it's big enough would do the job...

Back