yet another yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheschire

Reaction score
OK So. I want a beer that finishes at about 8-9% abv. No matter who I ask I can never get the answer Im looking for. What Ive heard is that different yeasts can only live in a certain ABV %. What yeast will be able to make at least 8%? I have only done one brew, and I wanted a higher ABV so I threw a couple cups of corn sugar extra into the brew. It still came out 4.5% like it was supposed to. The person I asked said that certain strain of yeast cant make 8%. I know it depends on how much sugar is in there, but My main question is (finally) Can ANY brewers yeast get me where I want to be? (8%)

Yes..barley wine and your "American" style imperial stout has a higher ABV then that afterall..what style beer are you going for? That should determine the type of yeast. The only difference with higher gravity beer is that you should either pitch 2 yeast packs/vials or create a starter. Also make sure your wort is well aerated and you are fermenting at the recommended temperatures of the yeast manufacturer.

Go to the website of the yeast manufacturer of your choice start looking at the different strain's profiles. You will find certain strains designated as "high alchol tolerance". And as davesrose said, make a starter and aerate well. It's really easy and you find great directions with a quick search of the forums.

You can up the ABV with sugar, but I prefer the complexity you get with malt. Good Luck!

every beer yeast can get you to 8%, you just have to feed it properly. What is the gravity you are starting with? It could be that you are just not using enough base malt to begin with.

Back