Yet another stuck fermentation!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Putzenbrau

Reaction score
So this one has some odd circumstances behind it... about a couple weeks ago I made EdWort's Bavarian Hefeweizen and after racking it out dumped 6 gallons of cider right onto that yeast cake (Wyeast 3068--Weihenstephaner). Both brews came out great, but then I decided to save the lees so I could repitch into another batch of cider since I heard you could do that a couple of times without the yeast conking out. So about 5 days ago I pitched the saved yeast into 5 gallons of fresh apple cider and then... nothing. I was impatient and pitched right into cold cider from the supermarket, but I did that last time as well and everything turned out fine after about 2 days. But I've seen no action from the airlock and my current SG is 1.042. I figure the fermentation is stuck... any thoughts on how to fix it?

If you can, check the labels on each apple juice jug to verify that ALL were free of preservatives.

I just happened to discover that two of the several gallons on my juice shelf contained preservatives.

Thankfully, I was able to exchange them.

Pogo

Try areating the must. Add some yeast nutrient/energizer & give the carbouy a good swirl or two. Raise the ambient temp to 70 degrees F. If all this does nothing within 48 hours, spend the 75 cents & pitch a new packet of yeast... Though you might rack the juice off the old lees before you do. Regards, GF.

If you can, check the labels on each apple juice jug to verify that ALL were free of preservatives.

I just happened to discover that two of the several gallons on my juice shelf contained preservatives.

Thankfully, I was able to exchange them.

Pogo

The only preservatives were ascorbic acid - I've used the same brand cider before and it worked well enough.

How did you save the yeast until you pitched it the last time? Did you wash it?

No, I basically just emptied the lees (and a bit of liquid above it) from another batch into a tupperware container and put it in the fridge.

There is a procedure on how to save yeast on this website somewhere. I remember reading it. It was a lot more than saving it in a Tupperware. Maybe the yeast died?

I found the link. Give it a read. It might help.

You might want to rack it off the lees and repitch with a dry yeast. EC-1118 is a great one for restarts. I am sure there are others too.

How long has it been on the used lees. Especially if the yeasts are stressed from being used twice already, they may be taking their time. Don't worry until its been 2-4 days without activity.

If it has been that long already, repitch with whatever yeast you want. I wouldn't call it stuck, if it never really got off in the first place. Pretty much any well treated/pitched yeast should do to get it started is my guess.

As stated EC-1118 is a great yeast for restarts as is D-47. The thing I can't figure out about these two yeasts is why they are a standard for all or most cider recipes as they also do a great job of fermenting the flavor right out of the cider. If it is stuck and verses losing the batch I'd try them.

Depending on where you got the cider or of you pressed it the pH could be an issue. A little temperature and time as stated works great sometime. You can also try adding nutrients. Trying a little Go-Ferm if you re-pitch won't hurt either.

EC-1118 is a great one for restarts. I am sure there are others too.

Latest posts

Back