yet another question about fermenting temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I know that I want to keep my fermenting temp around 70*, and not much higher. My first couple batches weren;t that good, and I partially blame high ferment temps (78*-ish) I was thinking of putting it in my garage in a tub of water with frozen water bottles. I'm pretty sure I could keep it at 70 or below. But I think my garage would probably go as low as the 50's in the night, maybe even colder. I know we hit freezing temps here in Vegas in the winter, but I don't think it will be that cold in my garage.

Will all of that fluctuation in temp be bad on my beer (or aplfewein)?
going back and forth from 70ish down to 50ish every day?

Would I be better off keeping it in the house in the closet? I'm just afraid it's too warm in my house.

In the winter time, I'd keep your beer in the house. In the summer time, i would use a Son of Fermentation chiller or a chest freezer.

Just because the temperature of the garage goes to 50 doesn't mean that the bucket/carboy in the water will too. How big of a tub are we talking about? The water has the ability to store a lot of heat and insulate the beer at night especially if you were to cover it. But, in general big swings are a bad thing...so I probably wouldn't risk it.

If I were you, I would check Craigslist and get a dorm fridge cheap. Then you can set it and forget it.

Totally agree on finding a fridge or chest freezer to use. It makes life so much easier. Plus, you can do some lagers too.

Yes, a refrigerator or freezer will make temp control easier.

But the water tub and ice method will work just fine. A large quantity of liquid will not change change temperature quickly, even though the air temperature may swing 20 degrees during the daily cycle. Just monitor the temperature of the fermenter and don't be concerned with the air temperature.

I'm often questioning these things myself. Maybe someone could write a sticky on temps for different styles etc... I'd do it but I don't know the answer in the first place. and a note to whoever does any chance you could stick in the Celcius as well?

rmck1 said:
I'm often questioning these things myself. Maybe someone could write a sticky on temps for different styles etc... I'd do it but I don't know the answer in the first place. and a note to whoever does any chance you could stick in the Celcius as well?

Generally you can find all that kinda info right on the yeast mfgs website.

talleymonster said:
But I think my garage would probably go as low as the 50's in the night, maybe even colder. I know we hit freezing temps here in Vegas in the winter, but I don't think it will be that cold in my garage.

You could put an aquarium heater in the tub to keep it from getting too cold during the winter. A floating thermometer might be helpful, too.

talleymonster said:
Will all of that fluctuation in temp be bad on my beer (or aplfewein)?going back and forth from 70ish down to 50ish every day?

yes it can...as others have suggested maintaining a consistent target temp will yield better results than possible wild flux/stress, fussels and potential stuck ferments.

Anywhere in your house where you could set a tub? I've found that I can consistently keep my brews around 70 at the highest with the water in the tub supplemented with frozen things. This is with the AC off when temps are still reaching 90 degrees or so during the day. When I get home and turn the AC on, it'll drop to 67-ish.

Water is an amazing buffer. Just because it's 50ish ambient air, it will take a lot of energy/time to drop the water temp that low.

I'd set up the bucket without carboy in your garage, throw in some ice until you get it to 65 or so and monitor the temp. If it doesn't drop too much, then I'd say you're good to go.

Back