Yet another movie thread (war flicks this time)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernie Brewer

Grouchy Old Fart
Reaction score
Memorial Day is coming up, and all the networks seem to be packing their lineups with war movies. Got me to thinking, what is (are) your favorite war movie(s)? Here are some of mine, in no particular order:

Memphis Belle
The Longest Day
Glory
Flags of Our Fathers (good movie, but the book was much better)
Gettysburgh
The Patriot

Thin Red Line

Anyone want to do best war books?

The Naked and the Dead
A Farewell to Arms

Memorial Day is coming up, and all the networks seem to be packing their lineups with war movies. Got me to thinking, what is (are) your favorite war movie(s)? Here are some of mine, in no particular order:

Memphis Belle
The Longest Day
Glory
Flags of Our Fathers (good movie, but the book was much better)
Gettysburgh
The Patriot

Memphis Belle! My favorite bird from WW2; the B-17 flying fortress. Nothing produced today sounds like a big ass radial engine!

Memphis Belle was a great movie! Full metal jacket was also a good one.

Heartbreak Ridge
Enemy at the gates
M*A*S*H

Everything listed are very watchable movies. Anything J. Wayne did has to be there too.

Band of Brothers was such a great series. I've probably seen it a dozen times and I still can't stop watching it.

Just about anything from the 40's.. Wake Island, Bogart's Sahara come to mind.

Like Igilmore said, many good movies already posted. I'm not sure I have a favorite. Memorial Day is coming soon and I know it is a day for WWII vets. Love the movies but I just can't stop thinking about the active duty military who, maybe somebody might have a holiday and movie made about them.

God Bless you servicemen and women! Thank you for what you and your family do for our country!

Saving Private Ryan
Full Metal Jacket
Black Hawk Down

If we talk about books Team Yankee is a great book. Being a former tanker I love this book and I don't normally read books

The Bridge Over the River Quai (sp?)
Patton
The Dirty Dozen

Does anybody know a movie about WWII POWs who build a glider and catapult it off the roof of a building using a bathtub as the counter weight. The glider is built with wooden frame, covered with oat-mill soaked bed sheets. They launch, fly to Switzerland I think. The end of the movie is the glider flying to freedom and everybody breaks into a victory song... I'll be darned if I cant remember the name of the movie though. It's a great movie, first time I saw it must have been at least 30 years ago. Help anybody?

Lots of great one's already mentioned. Two I'll add:

Dr Strangelove
We Were Soldiers

hands down, fire birds
Also:
Patton
We were soldiers
A bridge to far
Also there was a doc about glider pilots called silent wings feat andy rooney if you dont know much about thoes guys. They had balls! If you live near campbell or bragg go on post and walk through one. Also if you ever road trip by a large post, please go on and stop at a museum. Your dollars funded them after all.

Books:
We were soldiers
Tiger force
The last true story ill ever tell
Black hearts

+1 for "A Bridge Too Far"
Also adding "A Midnight Clear"

Book: "The 900 Days: The Siege Of Leningrad" by Harrison Salisbury.
This is an incredibly detailed and gruesome account of the Siege.

The Bridge Over the River Quai (sp?)
Patton
The Dirty Dozen

Does anybody know a movie about WWII POWs who build a glider and catapult it off the roof of a building using a bathtub as the counter weight. The glider is built with wooden frame, covered with oat-mill soaked bed sheets. They launch, fly to Switzerland I think. The end of the movie is the glider flying to freedom and everybody breaks into a victory song... I'll be darned if I cant remember the name of the movie though. It's a great movie, first time I saw it must have been at least 30 years ago. Help anybody?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colditz_Cock

Saving Private Ryan
Apocalypse now
Glory
Band of Brothers
Tropic Thunder

All of these are classics in my mind, okay not the last one. Side topic: Watching the Pacific series right now (on disc 4). Had so much potential, I thought maybe they would have chronicaled some aviators or guys in the navy. I'm fine with covering the Marines exclusively, but it just wasn't done as well as Band of Brothers.

Back