Yet another dry hop Q(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba_Mustafa

Reaction score
I'm doing little 1 gal batches till all is dialed in, and a happy recipe or 3.

Can I dry hop in primary or is racking to secondary a better route?
If I can with little or no effect, should I wait or is it ok at pitching? (or when the violence is over and its just mellowing; visually or via SG readings?)
Can I just use the flame out hops for the big nose?

Now, what I'm looking for is a big hops nose. I like that more then the ultra bittering high IBU styles. Is dry hopping what I want?

(I know beer styles will matter a bit with my questions, so no big beers, no stouts, etc. Typical session beer/ales)

Thanks guys!

racking to a secondary is recommended for dry hoping. the yeast may still be producing CO2 which will drive off the hops aroma you want.

DO NOT dry hop at the beginning for fermentation that is just a waist of good hops. as mentioned the CO2 production of an active full bore fermentation will drive away ALL the hops aroma and probably the taste.

yes you can use the flame out hops to dry hop or use more of the same to dry hop.

yes if you want aroma over taste use dry hoping.

Thanks a bunch!
Pretty much what I figured (though wasn't sure about the ferm part of it, but that explanation makes sense.) Won't bother saving the flame out hops to dry hop a week-ish later (especially for a 1 gal batch)

Once the krausen has subsided you can dry hop in the primary. It is really a matter of preference. I have 4 kids and cleaning carboys is pretty low on my list of fun things to do. The only time I secondary these days if for my sour beers, but that's just how I do it. As long as it is post fermentation you are good.

Latest posts

Back