Yet another DIY stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello

Reaction score
I wasn't going to start my own thread but I after three pages and a google search, I didn't find a "show your DIY stir plate" thread so I figured show mine off.

I used a 80mm computer fan that I had in a closet. I bought the project box, rocker switch (that is hard to see against the box), knob and rheostat at Radio Shack. I spent under $20, if I recall. I bought ceramic magnets thinking they may be okay and I was right. I used some machine screws with nuts that I had laying around and some double sided tape on top of my washer to keep the magnets in place. I used velcro to secure my washer to my fan. Basically, I followed all of the instructions you find online which is why I didn't bother documenting the build. Nothing is unique really.

Overall, I am very happy. The project box seemed like it would be too small and unstable but it ended up being okay with my 2L flask. I have a 1" stir bar.

I initially tried a 5v cell phone plug which powered the fan but only barely. I then found a real nice 12V plug that had all kinds of adapters. I blew it, I touched some wires, there was a spark and the plug was shot. I took a power cord that is 9V from an old cordless phone I don't use. Having the 9V plug allows me to increase and decrease speed. The video shows how this happens. It isn't loud at all.

I used 1/2" rubber feet on the bottom and will drill some more holes on the back and bottom for airflow. Basically it's not gorgeous but it works well and doesn't throw my stir bar.

These threads on peoples' builds really helped. HBT comes through again as another valuable resource.

A short video of the stir plate in action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSsODHX4yqM
IMG_6357.jpg

IMG_6363.jpg

Beautiful! Put a few drops of food coloring into the vortex and prepare to be thoroughly satisfied, hah

Yeah, it was tough to dig that one up.

No - wait. It wasn't.

"show us your stir plate" and that was the first hit..

Cheers! ;)

Yeah, it was tough to dig that one up.

No - wait. It wasn't.

"show us your stir plate" and that was the first hit..

Cheers! ;)

I get it, I ****ed up and clearly it puts a dent in your day. Relax. It won't be the first thread you come upon that didn't need to be started. Thanks for taking the time to beat a dead horse after I apologized, unnecessarily at that.

Back