Yet *another* coopers kit questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iahebert

Reaction score
So!

I've read dozens of different coopers kit posts, and they all tend to answer bits of my questions, but I still have to throw out my own questions. I've bounced around with extract, mini-mash, and AG set ups, so I have a general knowledge of beermaking, but have been out of the game about 6 months.

I just bought the Thomas Coopers Limited Australian Bitter kit off of Makebeer.net, which they had on a 50% off special. It comes with the hopped extract, 1.5kg of Malt extract (not sure if DME or LME), and carb drops.

I want to add some hops, but am not sure which type, and i'm also not sure about the boiling intervals. I was also thinking about dryhopping in 2ndary, but again, not sure of the hop variety.

Also, if I added some malto-dextrin along with the light malt, would that be too much fermentables?

Sorry if this has been posted (and posted again) in the past.

Thanks!!! :mug:

I don't believe malto dextrine is fermentable. It'll just add gravity. That's at least what I've been told around here.

Coopers use a variety called Pride of Ringwood in a lot of their beers, very fruity cascade type profile, not sure what they use in their bitter though.

Coopers is liquid malt extract.
Coopers is not meant to be boiled - just stirred into hot water to reconstitute.

If you have never used this kit you should probably make it as it is and then taste it prior to keg or bottle. You could then throw in some dry hops at that point based upon what you are tasting. It's kind similar to when my wife starts salting her food without tasting it first - I don't get it.

Coopers kits are good, but would be better with some extra hops added. Dry hopping should be perfect for them alright.

Here's a great article from Oz.Craftbrewer.com, on how to make the best beer with cooper's kits...It's from Australia, the home of coopers, and from the craftbrewer radio guys.

Improving Your Kit

It's from the Craftbrewer Radio site...the article is a companion to.
April#2,2007

The guys get “Down and Dirty” for the Kit and Kilo brewer with the simplist yet method of making a kit beer that tastes great. They also taste the underpitched beer experiment, and follow up on a brewers problem with under-atttenuation. Our beer superhero tries to save the love of his life - and Wonder-Mole, while we look into a beer belly experiment. More on how to say beer words, drink driving, beer laws and a quiz question will fill out the program, with a typical Aussie beer tale sung at the end.

Click to listen;
http://radio.craftbrewer.org/shows/April2-07.mp3

Back