yet another apfelwein sweetening question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matteroftaste

Reaction score
okay so i have done a bit of searching and come up trumps.
the missus likes sweet fizzy ciders with fruit flavors (i like it dry and flat).
the idea is this, to sweeten a couple of bottles with some splenda and some strawberry syrup to condition.
this would sweeten and carbonate right?
or am i barking up the wrong (apple) tree?
i dont much fancy kegging 5 gal of 8.5% apple wine as i like the idea of having the odd bottle and not using up a keg that could be used for a nice easy session beer.
cheers in advance.

Here's what I do. Take a sample mid primary fermentation, while it still has a bit of sugar left in it and give it a taste once it's sweet to her liking steal a 2 liter bottle worth and put it in the fridge with the cap on. This will slow the yeast down so you can keep the fizz. Let the rest of your batch ferment all the way. Hers will be sweet and bubbly yours dry and flat. Let her bottle set in the fridge for a week or two and it should clear up nice. I usually pour it into a new 2 liter bottle to get rid of the yeast in the bottom. Cheers!

Back