yellow beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinnick

Reaction score
I just bought a better bottle and I am brewing an IIPA in there right now. It has been in the bottle for about 5 days and it is still fermenting strong. I used WLP099 yeast since it was a higher gravity. Started out at about 1085 and I am bringing it down to around 1020...or hopefully. I am a little concerned because the smell of the beer is starting to come outside of the better bottle. I never had this before. Also, it started out a really dark amber color and now it is more of a dark yellow/green. Anything that I should be concerned with or check.
Thanks, Nick

No, fermentation is often ugly, and stinky, and that's on perfectly normal days. What you are smelling is perfectly normal, as are the colors as proteins seperate out.....this is exactly what happens in a bucket, except we don't see anything.

Yeah, my whole garage stinks when I'm fermenting and it's bubbling away.
The yellow/green color comes from all the yeast activity stirring up the trub, it'll settle back to a darker color again once the yeast starts slowing down.

Thanks guys, I was getting a little worried since it was yet another new thing. Maybe one day I will have seen it all.
Thanks again, Nick

Back