Yeasty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brasco20

Reaction score
One of my first brews was a no boil honey blonde, and it turned out great. primary 2 weeks secondary 1 week and then bottled. I brewed it again and just let it sit in the primary for 4 weeks, then kegged. It has a huge yeast flavor and smell. Its been in the kegerator for 4 days now. Do i just need to cold crash for a while, or was it on the yeast too long?

Drop it to 30 for a few days and/or hit it with gelatin

If you are going to add gelatin, you will need to "bloom" it first, which is just adding it to some hot water. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/using-gelatin-clearing-184660/

Gelatin will help settle yeast that is still in suspension.

To me, it sounds like you beer still might be a bit young. Your beer wasn't sitting on the yeast long enough to get off flavors. I leave all of my beers in the primary for at least 4 weeks. You could add the gelatin, or you could just stash it in the keg fridge and let it cold condition for a few weeks. Then just make sure to pour off and dump the first pint or two.

Also, what was the style of beer and what were your fermentation temps? I've had beers that fermented too warm and it left a yeasty smell and taste in the beer that never really went away, but aging did help.

Its a honey blonde ale. My house is set at 67, so im guessing the fermentation temp was 68 or 69.

The first couple of pints will tend to have a lot more yeast, especially if you didn't do a secondary. You're basically cold-crashing the beer now, and since the dip tube's at the bottom of the keg you're picking up the yeast that hadn't floculated yet at the time you kegged. I'd bet that within a couple pints, the "yeastiness" is gone.

Back