Yeasty taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazaah

Reaction score
Hello,

My first brew was a black rock branded cider. I used a champane yeast as reccommended by my local store. Added 1kg of bew enhancer (malt, corn etc) and 2kg dextrose. Fermented for 14 days at 20-25*c. After being bottled for three days it had alot of yeast in the bottles so i racked it and added more carb drops in the clean bottles. 4 days later it still is not clear and more yeast is settling, not much though, but it still has a yeasty taste. Ive just started my 2nd batch and wondering how to avoid the excessive yeast again?

cheers

you bottled Way too early. why don't you leave it in the primary, or rack to a secondary, and leave it for a few months until it clears? also most people on this board, myself included, prefer ale yeasts to champagne (for taste, not clarity), you may want to read the yeast experiment thread at the top of the page and give one of those a try next time. good luck

Will a Saflager yeast ferment upto 10ish %? I wanted to use a lager yeast but local store said otherwise for higher %

Also the kit says to bew for 14 days, hoping for good carbonation, would leaving it for a long time not prevent that?

The way you avoid yeasty flavors is by letting it sit a while....

When you bottle carb - you grow a lot of yeast in the bottles.... It takes time to die off and settle to the bottom.... as in 2 months - not 4 days... It's not like baking a batch of cupcakes.

Next thing... Read up here about the process of bottle carbing cider - you are heading down the track of making bottle bombs....

Thanks

Back