yeasty observation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglygoat

Reaction score
i recently went from dry yeast to liquid, and am very pleased with the taste from my first liquid yeast batch, which i racked to the secondary last night. heads and shoulders above the other batches that i've done with dry. i always steal some of the beer as i rack it regardless of wheter if it's coming from primary to secondary, or secondary to bottling bucket, to taste and see where i am at... last nights tasted the best of them all! so i'm jazzed!!!

now i reuse my yeast about four times before i dump it and clean the primary out good; thank you janx, one of the best tricks i've learned here! :) now last night i put a batch of frest wort atop my liquid yeast slurry from the previous batch and things got a rocking right awaay... like almost instantly... an hour later i had a healthy two inches of foam and the airlock was pounding away... a nice healthy 'convection' of activity, unfermentables flying about an co2 bubbles flying everywhere.

this morning, about twelve hours later all the foam is gone, the airlock is still pumping away, but the foam is gone... sorta odd... i'm not too worried, just perplexed, as the foam on the first batch was there over a week...

anythoughts, the temp was a bit higher this time, but still within the ale yeast range....

Hey great! I'm glad it worked out for you. I'd probably quit brewing if I had to scrub my primary every week ;)

And I'm glad you agree about the quality improvement with liquid yeast. I think it's much better than dry. Cheers! :D

i took the second batch off the yeast cake tonight... it tasted as good or better than the first... now i am happy, i wish i woulda used liquid yeast sooner... but chalk it up to experience. i'm pourin the columbus hops batch on top of it soon as it cools... w00t!

does the happy dance

Latest posts

Back