Yeasty Beasties!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mmenges

Reaction score
Went to the LHBS to pick up to pick up a smack pack of 1099 Whitbread yeast. Packaged on date was 01/10/2011!!! Doesn't get any better then that :ban:

This last Saturday I picked up a packet of Wyeast 3787 Trappist at my LHBS and it was only two days old.

They were like, "You're not going to get yeast much fresher than that!"

What was funny was that I had intended to get dry yeast this time, but forgot.

That happened to me a couple of months ago, less than a week old went into my brown porter, good stuff.

I have a packet of Wyeast 3068 coming, first time ordering liquid yeast. So what's considered a good average age for these yeasts? - meaning best age range, like is 1-2 months good, 4 months old, etc.

Rev.

I have a packet of Wyeast 3068 coming, first time ordering liquid yeast. So what's considered a good average age for these yeasts? - meaning best age range, like is 1-2 months good, 4 months old, etc.

Rev.

As the yeast gets older its viability decreases, meaning that there is less healthy cells available for fermentation. It is always highly recommended that you make a starter if possible when dealing with liquid yeast. Use this calculator to figure out how large your starter needs to be. Obviously its a good thing to get fresh yeast as your starter size will depend on the age of the yeast. Manufacturers say that their yeast is good for up to 4-6 months after the production date.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Last year I got a vial of WLP022 yeast. The date on the tube was supposed to be 4 months after packaging (best by date). I received it 5 months before the date, so I guess I got it a month before it was made?!?

Latest posts

Back