Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Standard practice to store dried yeast in a freezer until using.

Based on postings here at Homebrew Talk, it could be argued that it's a common practice to store everything in the garage for a number of years. ;)

Product information for a couple of the Fermentis (US-05) and Lallemand (Nottingham) strains that I use varies noticeably by the supplier. Looks like refrigerator temperatures for long term storage is a common approach.

I store my dry yeast in a drawer in my garage, not in the fridge or freezer, and it's just fine. The two LHBS that I shop at store their dry yeast on shelves not in a refrigerator or freezer. I also get yeast from Amazon that obviously isn't stored cold. What I'm trying to get at is that dry yeast, as long as it doesn't experience huge temperature fluctuations, is just fine stored at room temperature. I brewed a batch of lager a few years ago with a packet of S23 that was 2 years out of date, according to the date on the packet; and it was just fine. As I recall that yeast went through 3 generations of slurry before it started to show a bit of off-flavors, but that might have been operator error as well.

Back