yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipper72

Reaction score
Hey I came up short on water so I boiled tap water and put it into my wort. The added wtaer Heated wort up to 95 then put.my yeast in. The water was a little hot but I thought it was good. Does anyone see a potential problem?

Potentially you could get off flavors from the higher temperature. If you have a way to get it chilled down to the lower end of the yeast tolerances, you might be okay.

Just for future brews you can do what I do. I have pre-boiled, filtered water that I've frozen to use as top off if/when I need it (too much boil off, not enough sparge, etc).

You were only a few degrees off of yeast killing temp, while I will say RDWHAHB I will have to say don't be sursprised if you have some off flavors and maybe even a slow start to your fermentation.

Temps that kill yeast are a lot higher than 95F. But that's def too high for a pitch temp. Get it cooled down to mid-60's & you'll get better beer. But I'd also give it a week after FG is reached to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty before packaging.

What yeast did you pitch? Some do just fine pitching at that temp...although that is rare. Unless you pitched a Belgian strain that likes super high temps, you may have off flavors. Get it cooled down to low 60's ASAP and leave it in the primary for an extra week or two and see what happens. If nothing else, good experiment.

The yeast is probably fine. Get your temp down within 12 hours from your initial pitch and you should be ok with a big safety window for error/uncertainty. Most of the off-flavors would be created between 18 hours and 4 days from your initial pitch (during the exponential growth phase).

This is a good read:
http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

One of the problems created by pitching into wort that hot is that it significantly shortens the time period before yeast activity really gets going and starts producing its own heat. Unless you immediately chilled it down into the 60's, you're very probably going to get unwanted flavors (some of which can be rather unpleasant and likely won't mellow with age).

In the future, wait for the wort to cool, even if it takes some time, rather rush it and pitch into hot wort. Ideally, with most ale yeasts, you'll want the wort to be in the low-mid 60's.

Well its bubbling pretty good so I think it will be good. Thanks for the comments. Lesson learned.

Back