Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobk34

Reaction score
Need a yeast for a pumpkin ale with abv 10.8 will need longer time to ferment I was thinking English yeast thoughts? Also I added pumpkin to boil with spice will flavor still come out or choice I have added it to fermenter?

Need a yeast for a pumpkin ale with abv 10.8 will need longer time to ferment I was thinking English yeast thoughts? Also I added pumpkin to boil with spice will flavor still come out or choice I have added it to fermenter?

Some Enlgish strains are low attenuators which will lead to a beer with a high FG. I'd probably choose a strain capable of about 80% attenuation which includes some of the Enlgish strains, but not all.

It's hard to tell how much pumpkin and spice character will remain after the boil. You can always add more pumpkin or spice to taste after pulling a gravity sample.

Add spice to boil or to fermenter or bottle if so do I have to cook it first. What is attenuation for yeast I'm a noob

What is attenuation? Does adding spiced or pumpkin in boil or fermenter

Apparent attenuation percentage is the percentage of sugars that yeast consume

[(OG-FG)/(OG-1)] x 100

so if your OG is 1.070 and your FG is 1.012, then your attenuation is 82.8%

as far as spice goes, it's easier to add it than take it out. so add a little to your boil, then when you take your gravity samples later on, you can add if needed

I used WLP007 in my imperial pumpkin and it took it from 1.080 to 1.018 in a couple days. 77% attenuation and 8.2% ABV. sugar additions in primary pushed the OG up to 1.125, but it fermented back to 1.018. that's 85.6% attenuation and 14.4% ABV

I'll tell you how it turns out next Halloween

How did u add ur pumpkin and did u use pumpkin extract

i used canned pumpkin, but not the pumpkin pie mix

baked @ 350 for an hour, put in a nylon strainer bag, heated with the strike water and removed the bag before mashing in

1 tbs pumpkin pie spice 5 minutes before flame out and I will check the taste before putting into secondary, adding more if it needs it. so far, I don't think it will

So u didn't put the purée in the boil and plz explain strike water ru talking about steeping? I baked mine on my first try and threw it in 15 min before flameout and 1 tsp I could taste pumpkin but left starch haze this is only my sec batch I've ever made I'm trying amber ale plain light all dme 1lb of caramel 40 2.5 lbs of pumpkin roasted thought I would try and throw in fermenter during primary with spices not sure if that would take and dome hops I'm trying the yeast w007 just picked it up.

i'm doing all-grain; strike water is initial infusion of water you mix with the grains to get to mash temperature

this was my first pumpkin ale. I was trying to decide between adding the pumpkin in the mash or in the boil when someone suggested adding it to the heating water for the mash, but taking the pumpkin bag out before adding that water to the grain.

I get that awesome orange color plus some sugars, but it doesn't get stuck in the mash and doesn't get starch haze later

I would think that the later in the process you add the pumpkin, the more haze you would get.

If you wanted to do it like I did, you would steep it with your specialty grains (the caramel 40). it gets removed with the grains and you continue with your boil.

One last question with abv that high when do I rack to secondary

Back