Yeast Wasing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cj8scrambler

Reaction score
I'm trying to start reusing my yeast where possible. In the past I have pitched a new batch directly onto the leftover yeast from a previous batch and it works fine for me. But this time I just finished fermenting a batch and I'm not ready to brew another one. So I thought I would try washing the yeast and saving it for a couple of weeks in the fridge. I've read other posts on it and I understand the general idea, but I'm just not clear on what part is the yeast and what isn't? I washed out the slurry with sterilized water, poured it into a clean jar and I seem to have ended up with 4 layers. I thought I was supposed to end up with 2 layers. Which one am I trying to keep? My guess is that the layers are:
  1. Watery yeast
  2. Yeast
  3. ????
  4. Break / hop material
yeast_wash_small.jpg

I've washed yeast before with great success. looking at your picture this is what I belive:
1) Beer or water mixture
2) Trub or break material
3) Great looking yeast!!!!
4) Heavy trub
I would poor off the top two layers and save the third and toss the forth.
But is that great looking yeast or what, That's a BUTTTT load of yeast this batch must contain all of your trub out of your primary. Since I've been saving yeast strains I've got 6 different strains in a glycol mixture in the freezer that I can cultivate at will and I don't buy yeast anymore.

Pretty cool. 2 questions.

1) How did you get it out of the primary? I use a glass carboy as my primary and it's a pain in the arse to get anything in or out of it.

2) How long can you keep the yeast in the freezer/fridge.

Since SWMBO is a molecular biologist, I'm thinking she probably won't mind a few yeast strains in the fridge as she conducts science experiments of her own from time to time! :D

aduncan75 said:
2) How long can you keep the yeast in the freezer/fridge.

If I had such a SWMBO, I'd has her this question.

Generally you should not keep yeast in the fridge for more than 1 week if you plan to repitch w/o propagating again. After that time many of the yeast cells are dying and you will get poor fermentation performance. This is actually more important for lagers than ales b/c the required pitching rates are larger for lagers.

Kai

Kaiser said:
If I had such a SWMBO, I'd has her this question.

Kai

Normally would have asked her but she's out of town for the week at a conference. SWMBO is not the most enthused about my hobby after cleaning up about 1 Gal of BarleyWine from my closet last week otherwise I would have Blackberried her! :(

Thanks for the answer, I suspected it was a short timeframe so I'll have to start mapping out my next few brews to take advantage.

Thanks for the help smogman. Would you believe that is only half of the yeast I recovered? I have a 2nd quart jar that looks the same.

When I finished racking the beer from my last batch I added about 2 cups of sterilized water to the bucket (although a carboy should work just as well). I swirled it around to break up the chunks at the bottom. Then I poured the slurry into 2 different quart jars. With your advice I poured off the top 2 layers from each jar and combined them into 1 jar. I'll let them seperate again and try to just keep the yeast next time.

Back