yeast washing dilemma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g_rath

Reaction score
So im going to try to wash some yeast soon. But its going to be a little different than normal. I made a Belgian and my smack pack didn’t swell, so i used my back up dry yeast. Well now 2 days later its swollen and I don’t want to waste it. ( I’m cheep) So I’m making the starter for it and my question is if I can just let that ferment out and wash off of that? And how long should I let it ferment out? I was thinking about a week.

So im going to try to wash some yeast soon. But its going to be a little different than normal. I made a Belgian and my smack pack didn’t swell, so i used my back up dry yeast. Well now 2 days later its swollen and I don’t want to waste it. ( I’m cheep) So I’m making the starter for it and my question is if I can just let that ferment out and wash off of that? And how long should I let it ferment out? I was thinking about a week.

Sure, you could do that. You actually don't have to wash it, though, since it's pretty darn clean. You can either stick the pack back in the fridge, or go ahead and make the starter now.

If it was me, I'd just stick the pack in the fridge and make a starter when I was ready to brew.

Back