yeast wash I did is it ok to use this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billman

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to do another brew this weekend. My previous one I collected the yeast. I washed it then poured it in a liter bottle with screw top. After I screwed the top on, I shook it up again.

Now, my collected yeast looks like the growler in this photo on the right with the dried trub on the top sides of the bottle. Then a layer of beer with the rest on the bottom.
yeast_wash-SNPA_trub-MasonJar1.jpg

There should be no O2 in the bottle. Just to ease my mind will I be ok decanting and dumping this into my next brew?

looks like the way i do it. You will be happy. I keep four strains: nottingham, windsor, san fransisco lager and harvested trappist yeast from Ommegang. It is the cats meow!

I top up my small jars with tap water to the top and cap. Yeast hasn't died from my tap water. If you feel better boil it and let it cool.

Looks perfect! Use and expect TERRIFIC results.

You can get even more beer decanted off if you cold crash. I'll usually make a very small, low OG activator the morning I brew and pitch my full starter into that to get my yeast cranking away for pitching.

**EDIT** totally not needed if you use it within a few days but certainly doesn't hurt either...

I feel better now! That photo is not mine. I was just using it as a quick comparison. It's from http://www.donosborn.com/homebrew/yeastwash.htm The down and dirty way. Great Tutorial.

My yeast has been sitting in my fridge for like a month. You're right about the cold crash. When I first dumped it there was like no beer on top. Now it's like 2 inches on top.

Back