Yeast Volume Info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
I am going to propagate sacch yeast with the sole purpose of making vials to freeze with a glycerin/water mixture for later use. I'll use 1 liter of 1.040 wort with either a fresh smack pack of Wyeast or a fresh packet of Pure Pitch from White Labs. I'll spin it up for 2 days before cold crashing and decanting.

If done as described above, what volume of yeast can I expect to be grown from the typical home brew sized liquid yeast pack after decanting?

I am trying to figure ahead what mL of yeast volume I will propagate to determine my test tube usage. I like the idea of those old style test tubes White Labs used but they changed over to the Pure Pitch pack for all but a few strains. Any ideas where similar tubes may be available?

Hi @Morrey. I have about a dozen of those WLP tubes you are talking about. I have them in a box, and I had figured they may come in handy one day. I'll send them to you if you don't mind covering the postage costs to you. Enjoy.

Hi @Morrey. I have about a dozen of those WLP tubes you are talking about. I have them in a box, and I had figured they may come in handy one day. I'll send them to you if you don't mind covering the postage costs to you. Enjoy.

Awesome! Thanks.....sending you a PM.

Do you happen to know the mL volume of those tubes?

Back