yeast volume for Soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunfighter04

Reaction score
I tried my first crack at soda. Birch beer extract. used a tbsp of extract, about 2 1/2 cups of sugar dissolved, mixed into a 1gal glass bottle and topped it off with warm water. I started a packet of bakers yeast into a pint sized mixture of sugar water, and let it start overnight (shook it a few times to aerate.

I added about half of the yeast to the bottle then split it into 2 2 liter plastic bottles and let it set out about 5 days.

It carbonated well so I stuck it in the fridge. Now for my question.

it tastes a bit weak, so I'll up the extract/sugar a bit, but it has a noticeable yeast taste/smell. Did I use too much? Do I have to wait for the yeast to fall out?

I'm no expert but ... you might try LESS bakers yeast or better yet use ale yeast or champagne yeast. We got champagne yeast at a beerbrew supply store in Prescott.

1/2 tsp. yeast per gallon of 110 degree sodabrew has worked for us.

We've gotten respectable carbonation and low/no yeast taste after 3 days brewing at 60-70 degrees in plastic bottles.

Good luck,
Frank in AZ.

My intention was to use champagne yeast, I had washed some from a previous batch of "Pear Brandy" but it didn't seem to be active after I pulled it out of the fridge. Bakers yeast was all I had. Now I have something I can chalk up to a learning experience.

Thanks guys

I make quite a bit of ginger ale, and use use only about 1/8 tsp of champagne yeast for 2 gallons of water and 3-4 cups of sugar. Bottled in 12-oz glass bottles, it carbonates well in 48 hours. I think you could cut back quite a bit.

Back