Yeast trading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dovaka

Reaction score
I looked around but couldn't find if anything like this was around. I had a massive long term deep freeze yeast collection that I ended up losing due to a faulty freezer that gave out and I didnt go into that often so by the time I realized that it failed it was too late. So now I am trying to rebuild. Some im managing to get back from sediment and what not but most are completely gone.

Is anyone aware of a yeast trading program any where or anything like that? I know they have the beer it forward thread, maybe we could do something similar with obscure or hard to find strains of yeast.

That's a very good idea, to start a thread where people could share yeast strains. Maybe this could be the thread! I have no idea how much interest there would be in the topic - I occasionally will repitch yeast from a smaller batch into a larger batch, but have never 'collected' strains.

Maybe a paragraph or two on what you have to share and what you are looking for. Also, some folks (like me) might not know what the best procedures are for sharing or trading yeast.

for me I really can work with just about anything. most people that store yeast long term keep them in some sort of vile and freeze them. I used 1.5ml centrifuge tubes because I had do many and I was keeping several viles of each incase of contamination. as far as shipping goes you can either insulate it and put cold packs in with it or make a starter and just put it in a soda bottle. it depends on the volume and figuring out how much would die in shipping.

I much prefer collecting yeast as its essentially good forever and I always have every variety of yeast I would ever want on hand.

I store my banks at 4 degrees C in Corning 250ml centrifuge tubes. Currently I have yeast harvested from

Heady Topper
Lunch
Paranoid Aledriod
Saison Renaud

I have a bunch of bottle of Trillium Wild varieties that I have not opened yet but will eventually make banks from also.

Nothing too exotic but willing to share/trade.

I would for sure be interested in this
I have a few Brett strains that a hard to get

I have a decent collection of hard to find UK and Belgian slants, with a bunch of brewery-sourced production strains (~25 slants total).

I am looking for the following:

WLP022 Essex
WLP076 Old Sonoma
WLP026 Premium Bitter

Also any of the BrewLabs out of the UK.

Back