Yeast Temperature Ranges?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezknight

Reaction score
Do most of you pay any attention to the suggested yeast temperature ranges, or do you usually just use a set temperature for all ales?

I'm in the 2nd week of fermenting my Dunkelweizen, and I used Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan yeast. I used a starter and the thing took off like a rocket through my blowoff tube.

On the Wyest website it gives the temp rage as 64-75 degrees for fermentation. I've been trying to hit the mid-range for all of the yeast strains I've used in the past (which, typically has been about 64F), so this time I've been holding the temp at 69-70 (this is the actual wort temp, not the ambient). It seems high to me, but I figure it won't affect anything negatively since it's exactly in the middle of the range.

Should I have stuck to my 64-65 temps I've used in the past, or is it safe to just always pick the midpoint in the temp range?

I would go by what the manufacturer recommends, but then in those limits I will decide if I want to be on the high side or low side depending on what flavor you are after.

Back