yeast taste in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galapaegos

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Reading a while, first time posting. I have a question about my second batch. It tastes like alcohol (yay!), but it has a very breadish taste as if I taste all the yeast is still there. The beer I made is a honey ale. I'm unsure if this a biproduct of the honey and yeast, or if I just need to wait longer. Should I just let it condition more in the bottles? Any suggestions are most welcome, thanks for your time!

Yeasty flavors can come from a couple of places. One is simply young beer. But sometimes it's because of a poor quality yeast (like Munton's or Cooper's) or because of too-warm fermentation temperatures.

If it's because of the beer being young, it will improve greatly in a couple of weeks, especially after a few days in the fridge. If it's because of too-warm (above 70 degrees) fermentation temperatures, it might improve a bit with some time. If it's because of poor quality yeast, it won't improve much at all.

Thanks Yooper!

My basement does range in temperature a bit, but its typically not higher than 68deg where I have the fermenters and carboys. I will see if refrigeration helps, I am using dawnstar yeast. I'm guessing it is too warm temperatures from your advice.

Did you allow the beer enough time in primary to settle out clear or slightly misty? I've seen that lend a hand in the flavor you're describing. Higher temps don't help any,but 68F isn't that bad for the average ale yeast. If the danstar yeast you used was Notingham,it can go lower to be a bit cleaner tasting.

I think it would be worthwhile to use a fermometer on the primary vessel. Temperature of the beer is not the same as the room - fermentation warms it up some.

Latest posts

Back