Yeast Suspension - It Won't Settle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamleescott

Reaction score
I brewed a Northern Brown Ale weeks ago...it's been racked and sat in my cold cellar for approx 3 weeks now.

I've attempted to drink a couple of bottles which had sat in my fridge for a couple of days...

The beer has a dominating yeast taste which isn't pleasent...it's super cloudy with the yeast hanging in suspension.

1. Why won't the yeast settle?
  2. What can I do in the future to ensure I don't rack so much yeast/crap
Thanks for your wisdom!

Last edited:
Let them sit for a couple weeks and that should help. It also may be due to the variety/strain of yeast that was used. Some drop out very slowly. Time is your friend (unless you have no other beer to consume)!

Some people will fine with gelatin before packaging and it helps a lot. I just give my beer about a month in the primary and/or bottle. Quite clear most everytime.

Maybe a stupid question...Gelatin? What kind and what do you do with it?

I don't personally use it but there is a ton of posts in the subject. Search clearing with gelatin, fining, etc.

I use a tablet of Whirlfloc to clear my beer, which is added the last 15 minutes of the boil. My beer is quite clear though I don't think it works with yeast, only with hot and cold break material or proteins.

Maybe a stupid question...Gelatin? What kind and what do you do with it?

Knox clear gelatin.

From Ask A Pro: Jerry Gobien

The most common use rate for gelatin is 1g of gelatin for each gallon of beer.
  1. Dissolve the gelatin in 2oz of water per gram of gelatin. Using this rate it takes 5 grams of gelatin dissolved in 10 ounces of water to dose a 5 gallon batch of homebrew.
  2. To dissolve and rehydrate the gelatin powder sprinkle it onto the cool water and give it a gentle initial mix then allow it to rest for 15-30 minutes depending on how patient you are.
  3. After allowing it to “bloom”, stir the mixture together until you don’t see any more solids.
  4. Heat the solution on the stove top or in the microwave until it is at least 160F. If using a microwave heat slowly in bursts and check temperature.
  5. Pour the mixture into the already cold fermenter (<50F minimum, <35F even better) and agitate if possible to disperse the mixture a little better in the beer.
  6. Let the fermenter rest cold for 2-3 days or longer then rack to bottles or a keg.

Back