Yeast strength question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galek

Reaction score
I received a beer kit for Christmas. Upon opening I find the liquid yeast packet in the box. My dad tells me it has been at the house over a week and the yeast was never refrigerated.

I have nothing on hand to create wort with to try and start the yeast a few days before hand (other than the stuff from the recipe kit). At this point should I just get another thing of yeast, or just let it ferment a lot longer as there will be very little yeast in the beginning?

I know there must be another post with this question, but searching I was coming up with 10 pages of posts and could not find what I was looking for.

Thank you for any help,

If you're unable to make a starter, I'd probably err to the side of caution and pick up a fresh vial/pack of yeast from your local HBS. A week at room temp for a liquid yeast isn't ideal.

Making a starter isn't terribly difficult, since you have access to a local HBS. I'd recommend getting in the habit of it for liquid yeasts (White Labs).

I usually add the pack into warm water and let it sit for 30 min then pitch into my wort. I havent had an issue ever. If within 3 days you see no activity then pitch in a new packet. Gives you time to go buy another. I wouldent be worried.

If you're paranoid and really want too, then just go to the closest brew store and get some DME and make a starter and buy another packet of yeast (liquid or dry) so you can have as back up, just incase it dosent work.

I usually add the pack into warm water and let it sit for 30 min then pitch into my wort. I havent had an issue ever. If within 3 days you see no activity then pitch in a new packet. Gives you time to go buy another. I wouldent be worried.

OP has liquid yeast.
What's the date on the vial and what is the OG of your beer? Agreed a starter would be much better but you may be able to get away with it if the yeast was not also fairly old.

EDit: actually, is that a wyeast smack pack you have? If it's not already swollen you could smack the inner pack and see if it swells up. I never trust that as I do a starter but if it swells I think would at least be a sign of yeast viability.

Like the above post said, it all really determines on the date and your OG. I would get into the habit of making starters, your beer will benefit from them especially your higher OG ones.

It is smack pack, the date on it is Oct 8th. The original gravity is 1.076 according to the recipe.

I will try and see if it activates, if it does not swell within 24 hours I will order another one.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Either way you really should do a starter with a 1.076 beer. If you take like 7 oz of the DME in your kit and put it in 2 liters that will only drop your gravity about 4 pts. Still may be underpitching without a stirplate but certainly better than no starter at all.

Back