yeast storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolboxdiver

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a Growler for yeast storage? I have a quart growler I don't use and was thinking about using it for storing a washed yeast slurry. Then measuring out what is needed for a batch as needed. It wouldn't take up as much room.

I use growlers with airlocks to store several mixed/sour cultures. Usually just give it a good swirl and co pitch, then top off with whatever excess runnings I've gathered and boiled to keep feeding the culture. For clean yeast I wouldn't go through the trouble , throw it in a jar in the fridge until next use. Over build your starter and refridgerate that.

I use growlers with airlocks to store several mixed/sour cultures. Usually just give it a good swirl and co pitch, then top off with whatever excess runnings I've gathered and boiled to keep feeding the culture. For clean yeast I wouldn't go through the trouble , throw it in a jar in the fridge until next use. Over build your starter and refridgerate that.
Thanks but what I was asking was can I store the collected yeast in 1 big jar instead of 3 or 4 smaller jars to save space. Then divy it up as needed.

Back