Yeast still good to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rookie10

Reaction score
I received my "off the topper" clone kit and noticed the sticker on the box that says active yeast refrigerate as soon as possible. The transit time was 5-6 days and I know the gel pack they put in with the yeast was not cold the entire time. Should I be concerned? Is there a way to tell if a yeast is bad or lost some mojo? its a Vermont ale yeast BTW.

Heat is the enemy in this case. If it sat in the back of a hot truck, and/or in your mailbox for a long time, it could be compromised. I usually get my yeast from my LHBS, but if I do order online, I usually only do it during cooler months. So as to whether or not it might be a problem, it kind of depends on what the weather is like between you and the shipping location. I'd recommend making a starter and watching for activity.

Unless the days were in the 90's it should be good. What happens in the summer is they sit on a closed truck and the interior temperature gets very hot. If it is liquid yeast you probably should be making a starter anyway, then you would know.

The cold packs are a joke. They're likely melted before the package even leaves their warehouse, or not much longer after. If anything, they provide a little temperature buffer, nothing more.

High heat (>80/90F) and freezing are yeast's largest enemies in transit. Chances are the yeast is fine, temps aren't extreme yet, depending on your location and shipping route.

ALWAYS make a starter with liquid yeast. 1) to prove viability, 2) ramp up cell count, and 3) to revitalize it.

This is the primary reason I avoid kits.
The yeast is the most sensitive and important part of a kit, in my opinion. As a matter of fact, I ditched the first dry Coopers yeast with my Mr. Beer extract and used a new packet of S-05. A lot of people don't have the luxury of a nearby brew shop carrying cold liquid yeast, so they rely on dry brands.
I make starters with dry and liquid yeasts, no matter what. Doing so is reassuring and gives the yeast a head start.

make a shake starter. if it comes to life when you shake it you are good to go. then divide it in two, add more cooled wort and save one for next time. i get about 10 batches with each liquid yeast. no more yeast woes

I no longer live where it is convenient to just pop into a brew store and get yeast and have to rely on mail order so I but a lot of dry yeast in the cool season and keep in in a temperature controlled environment. that way I have a good amount around all year.

now about your yeast, get a mason jar and make a yeast starter a few days before you want to brew. you will know if the yeast is any good. there are a pas-load of starter videos on Youtube.

Back