Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy Kemp

Not really Amy.....
Reaction score
i have read quite a bit about making a yeast starter. I just ordered a new coffee stout all grain kit from my LHBS and the yeast came in the small packets. I thought it would come in a smack pack.
Time/work constraints don’t allow me to get any DME OR LME before brew day. Any suggestions on peeping the yeast to pitch?

Its not necessary to do that, you can simply sprinkle it on top the wort after its in the fermenter. It would help if you aerated (stirred or shake) the fermenter before adding the yeast.

Not even dissolve it in some warm water or anything like that? Get the wort to pitching temp and let er rip?

As Beer-Lord said, its not usually necessary. Dry yeast packets have approximately double the cells of a smack pack so they usually do fine without a starter. If you have the time and think about it you can bloom (rehydrate) dry yeast before pitching. Boil a few cups of water, chill to pitch temp, add the yeast, and allow to rehydrate for half an hour or so. Or you can pull some of the wort after chilling and rehydrate in that prior to pitching. I usually rehydrate for 5+ gallon batches but for anything less, just aerate and pitch.

As Beer-Lord said, its not usually necessary. Dry yeast packets have approximately double the cells of a smack pack so they usually do fine without a starter. If you have the time and think about it you can bloom (rehydrate) dry yeast before pitching. Boil a few cups of water, chill to pitch temp, add the yeast, and allow to rehydrate for half an hour or so. Or you can pull some of the wort after chilling and rehydrate in that prior to pitching. I usually rehydrate for 5+ gallon batches but for anything less, just aerate and pitch.
Awesome. Crisis averted.

Latest posts

Back