Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRoth36

Reaction score
So I'm fully aware of the yeast starter. I never go without them. However this last week I made one a few days prior to brewing like usual and long story short had to delay brewing by 6 days. This has happened before and I just put the starter in the fridge and use it a few days later. What I'm wondering is would it be beneficial to make another starter out of it? And if so could I just make some new wort for it, decant the old stuff and pour fresh on top? Any info would be appreciated.

Really, you can do either way. You should already have enough yeast there for your batch so you could just let it warm up on brew day, swirl it up and pitch it. Lately I've been liking the results I have with pitching active starters. To do this, yes, you can just decant and pour some fresh wort in the night before or morning of.

Thanks. That's what I've done in the past but thought I'd get some input on making a new starter with it. I've actually never pitched an active starter. I always just put it in the fridge the night before and then decant and pitch the next day. How bug of a starter do you usually make? You find any differences in pitching active starters vs decanting?

My preference is if I am making a 2L starter or less, I will plan it out so that I can pitch it while it is still active, no decanting. If I need a starter that is larger than 2L, I will start it several days out so that I have time to cold crash and decant it. I just don't like the idea of pitching 3 or 4 liters of starter wort into my beer. After decanting (if time allows) I will make about 500ml of fresh wort to get the yeast active again before pitching. This extra step isn't necessary, but I have found that my fermentation gets going almost immediately or at least within an hour or so, as opposed to 6+ hours. Either way is fine, this is just my personal preference and it seems to be working great. I can't say for sure whether it has made a difference on my final product though.

I have asked this question in another forum, w/o reply yet. Can, should or should not DAP be used when making a starter?

I have asked this question in another forum, w/o reply yet. Can, should or should not DAP be used when making a starter?

I don't have any experience using DAP, but I don't think there is a real need to add it, or any other nutrients to a starter. I do add nutrients to my wort, especially if I am doing something higher in gravity.

Quoted from Jamil and Chris White Yeast book:

"Yeast cells need 100 percent of their essential vitamins and minerals (nutrients) to make it through a fermentation properly nourished and ready to work again another day, much the same way humans do."

Making a starter isn't only about growing yeast. Is also about growing HEALTHY yeast. If you want them in top top shape for fermentation then you had better use nutrient. Can you get away without using it? Of course. Will your results be better with nutrient? You bet.

Never thought about using nutrient for a starter. I use it for my product though. Would you even need it for wyeast? I could see using it for white labs.

Back