Yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadKing

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to brew a 10 gallon batch ,and I have a Whitelabs a
culture which is for a 5 gallon batch.
I have dry extract ,so the question is, how much extract to how much
water should I use ,to make a sterile wort to grow yeast in? ,(which I'll grow in a 1gallon glass jug).
Thanks, RK

ok...liberal is not a very good measurement. i use .25 oz. for a 5 gallon batch, and usually try to use the same hops i'm brewing with. im not sure if youd want to double that for a 10 gallon use, dont know if its necesary, but you can always play it safe. ive got one question about starters, i usually use them to reactivate the yeast i collect off the bottom of my fermenter after racking when i want to reuse it for another batch. is this really necesary, or can i just throw my saved yeast into the new batch of wort?

You can throw it in as long as you have brought it up to room temp. The purpose for the starter is two fold though... to verify the yeast you have saved is still alive and to give the yeast a chance to multiply and become active prior to pitching which is better for the fermentation. Why would you not want to make a starter given these advantages? Even with new yeast, I like to make starters. Never know what may happen in shipping and handling. Maybe the shipped yeast was in freezing or really hot conditions. My question to you is... why put hops in a starter? I don't think that preventing bacteria growth is a legitimate reason.

the only reason i would not is unorganization and impatience. i forgot to start one yesterday and started steeping some grains before i realized it. oops. i guess we'll see how it works. luckily, i have some yeast fuel on hand and a pack of dry yeast i keep on hand unless something goes wrong. about the hops...thats just how i learned to do it. i guess most people don't but i think the taste effects of using hops in a starter are minimal and as hops do prevent bacterial growth, and i have to use foil on a growler method which isn't exactly airtight so i guess its just a safeguard. wouldnt want to ruin a whole batch with tainted yeast, plus its a use for all the spare hops sitting in my feezer.

Latest posts

Back