Yeast Starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JwP33

Reaction score
So I made my second starter on Sunday evening think it would have been done fermenting by this morning, which it has not fallen yet.

My problem is that I have to leave town until Saturday.

So I guess my question is:
Should I leave the starter on the stir plate until I get back or stick it in the fridge and hope its close enough to being done.

FYI- I made a 2L starter with 200 grams DME
It will be going into a Winter Warmer with an OG of 1.070

Any suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks Happy Thanksgiving

what do you mean by "which it hasn't fallen yet?" Are you saying there's a krausen? You can pitch a starter when there's a krausen, in fact it's called "pitching at high krausen" at tits the optimal time to pitch one....

If you're not going to be using it, yest just stick it in the fridge, if you aren't going to be using it in awhile it's better to seal it in a jar. Just warm it up for a few hours before pitching it.

I suppose fallen was not the correct term to use.
When I made my first starter a yeast cake form on the bottom of the flask.
At this point during my second starter the yeast is still swirling around. thats what I meant about it not falling.

I suppose fallen was not the correct term to use.
When I made my first starter a yeast cake form on the bottom of the flask.
At this point during my second starter the yeast is still swirling around. thats what I meant about it not falling.

I fond that I don't get yeast forming on the bottlom of the flask til I turn off my stirplate...Think about it this way, how's it going to from if there's a magnetic bar whipping around the bottom of the flask?

Back