yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gordzilla

Reaction score
I started a yeast starter last night and its fermenting quite nicely. I just heard the washer alarm go off in the laundry room and i was wondering if i put my starter yeast on top of the dryer would the warmer temp and slight shaking help introduce warmth and oxygen that the yeasties need to develope?

Its probably a really stupid idea but hell worth a thought

Warmth probably. Oxygen probably not.
The dryer wouldn't agitate the starter sufficiently.

Have you considered building your own stir plate?
There are several threads here on DIY stirplates. Some are extremely easy builds.

You will definitely see a difference in a starter done on a stirplate vs. other methods.
Just turn it on and watch'em multiply!

according to most here - most activity in the starter is done within 24-48hours

i made a starter last weekend and ended up not brewing so after 60hours or so I put it in the refridgerator to help the yeast settle to the bottom

when i brew this weekend i plan on taking it out and decanting the liquid and then letting the remaining yeast warm to room temp before pitching or possible stepping up the starter the night before

When you step up the yeast are you basically brewing some more DME and water together and adding to the yeast cake you already have? If thats the case thinking im gonna refrigerate now and step up again sat night or sunday morning and give the yeasties one more round to multiple

yup - lots of threads on here about stepping up

you wanna make sure you do a good sized step up so as to not overpitch the new starter

Back