yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dasBuhbuh

Reaction score
Ok so, I know from beer that I usually use a starter with those Wyeast Activator packs if the beer is above 1.06, give or take. Well, how about with mead?

Ive got 12lbs of honey for 5 gallons. Wyeast Rudesheimer. I guess the recipe claims an OG of 1.08-1.083. To me that sounds like i should make one. Thoughts?

I have found that mead starters are typically unnecessary, provided you properly rehydrate your dry yeast and follow a staggered nutrient addition protocol [Hint: it's in the FAQs...]:)

Although I have not used Rudesheimer yeast, I do not see why a starter is needed.

oh, its not a dry yeast. i saw the bit about rehydrating dry yeast but since its one of the wyeast smack packs, i felt i should ask just to clarify. its a riesling type wine yeast i think... anyway. thanks. from beer i know that people tend to disagree as to the necessity of starters.

but yea, thanks.

Where liquid is concerned it's always better to use a starter regardless of the gravity...for one thing it proves the viability of the yeast, so you can't ask later if your yeast is dead, you've already proved it's not. And secondly it reproduces the viable cells that are there, especially for something high gravity, you want to make sure you pitch plenty of yeast, which helps reduce lag time so your fermentation gets going faster because it doesn't have to grow as much to get going....but kike I said, it's piece of mind, and as someone who answers tons of "Is my yeast dead?" threads, the ones posting are most of the time the one's who didn't make a starter...so they don't have that little "pre-test" to prove to them their yeast didn't die in a boiling car or delivery truck.

wow, Revvy in the mead forum....interesting....

Back on topic: I have never made a starter for my meads. They seem to work as is. That said, Revvy is smarter than I am. :)

wow, Revvy in the mead forum....interesting....

Back on topic: I have never made a starter for my meads. They seem to work as is. That said, Revvy is smarter than I am. :)

Well I have noticed over the last couple days that you meadheads, the cidergeeks and the winos all have your share of the same "is my yeast dead?" "My airlock isn't bubbling?" "Is my ______ ruined?" questions as well...and they come up as "New Posts" on my screen regardless of what part of the forum they hail from.

Yeast is yeast....and noob worries are noob worries.....and if anything, starters DO help alleviate noob worries. :D

as always, revvy, your comments are welcome. thanks!

i just wasnt sure if there was much difference since its a wine yeast.

yeast is yeast - good enough for me.

Well I have noticed over the last couple days that you meadheads, the cidergeeks and the winos all have your share of the same "is my yeast dead?" "My airlock isn't bubbling?" "Is my ______ ruined?" questions as well...and they come up as "New Posts" on my screen regardless of what part of the forum they hail from.

Yeast is yeast....and noob worries are noob worries.....and if anything, starters DO help alleviate noob worries. :D

Yes and no. Meads can just become very slow fermenting if proper nutrients are not provided when they are needed, starter or not. A noob may think this slowing down may be dead yeast etc.

Well my main rule is always start yeast, dry or not. I like dry yeast because it is easier to store and maintain. I know for a fact that a dry yeast packet can go from 20F to 135F for 4 years straight in a Texas garage and still work.

To start a yeast add about 1/2 cup of water, 1 tsp or so of sugar (any will work), 1 yeast package. You can also add some nutrient, depending on your water. Then let it sit for 30 mins until a nice foam head forms.

The problem with most water for mead is that it does not contain enough minerals. Too many times I have seen people using spring or drinking water only to have yeast "stuck" in fermentation. As long as your water does not contain metals (iron, copper, aluminum) you are probably fine. You can ask your local water board or you can take a sample to your pool supply to test.

If it ever does "stick" the first thing I would tell you is wait 24 hours. If it is still stuck start a new yeast colony and repitch.

Yeah mead fermentation is certainly different from beer fermentation, all malt worts have an abundance of nutrients and honey musts a dearth.

We did our first meads with pH management and staggered nutrient additions. If I had started doing mead before I was an experienced home brewer (with a pH meter) I probably would have found the fermentation frustrating.

I do like to proof liquid yeast (rehydration proofs dry yeast, and I always do that with dry).

well, smacking the wyeast thing proofs it. its not a starter but it does show viability at least.

i believe the kit had 4 pouches of nutrient blend to stagger. im gonna let it do its thing now though.

Back