Yeast starter with an Erlenmeyer Flask questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dukester

Reaction score
So I finally got the gear I need to do proper starters after doing the pot and growler technique for a while. I boiled the starter wort in the flask but what is the best way to cool it quickly? Clearly I don't want to use the ice bath method and risk thermal shock shattering the flask. Is there a good technique to get the temp down reasonably quickly to pitching temp?

Cheers,

Dukester

I still use a small sauce pan, cool in the pan in an ice bath, and then transfer to the Erlenmeyer. You can, however, just place the erlenmeyer in the fridge without worrying about it breaking.

Pour hot water over the flask and slowly turn it colder. When the flask gets cooler, then drop it in the ice bath. The flasks are strong enough not to shatter, but this is a good way to drop the temp of the glass so you're sure it won't happen.

Arent those flasks made out of a glass that can handle the temp changes? I boil mine in a sauce pan then poor in the flask, and put it in an ice bath. I have a metal ring from northern brewer that holds the flask down so you dont have a bobber, works pretty sweet.

I boil in a 4L pot, use a funnel to transfur into the flask, set the full flask back in the 4L pot in the sink and run cold water into the pot.

Back