Yeast starter with 1000ml flask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoE_fosho

Reaction score
This is my first yeast starter, I bought the kit from northern brewer, so I'm making a 5 gallon batch of 1.075 OG. It says to use 650 ml of water with 1/2 cup of DME, what I was wondering is, will this be the right amount for a 5 Gallon batch? Thanks

Nope... Depending on the yeast age, you'll need more than a 1L starter for the brew. For super-fresh yeast, 1.25-1.33L starter would do (yeast dated today).

IMO/IME, a 1L flask is pretty much useless for 5 gallon (or larger) batches. It might be ok for 2.5 gallon batch sizes (or below) but that's about it. I have a 2L, 3L and 5L flask. I use the 3L the most, since I'm also doing stepped starters to get the cell count needed. Once in a while I'll use the 2L flask. I've not used the 5L flask since I can do 2 or 3 step starters to get me where I need to be. Plus, the 5L flask won't easily fit in the fridge to cold crash.

Also, you use 100g of DME per liter of starter volume. Use yeastcalc.com to get your starter sizes. For your current setup, I would try making a two step starter. At least until you get a larger (2L or 3L) flask.

Lame, that's silly they would send me something that small, when most people make 5 gallon bathes

What if I used a 64 ounce growler as my flask? How would that work?

That's fine. I use a glass half-gallon milk jug for my starters. I don't have a stir-plate, so the bottom not being completely flat doesn't matter to me. I just shake it whenever I think about it.

IMO, you'd be better off doing a two step starter.

Step 1: .5L
Step 2: .75L

Cold crash (place the finished starter in the fridge) for 24-36 hours, decant spent starter wort off of yeast cake. Pour chilled fresh starter wort on top and put it back onto the stirplate. You might want to pick up some firmcap as well, so you don't get foam-over in the flask.

You can enter the yeast date in the tool on the yeastcalc site to see if you need to make a larger starter for either step. IMO/IME, that's going to be your better bet. Just be sure you have enough DME to make the two steps. Same 100g to 1L ratio on the DME. I use a high precision scale for such things (or anything under 11oz).

IMO, you'd be better off doing a two step starter.

Step 1: .5L
Step 2: .75L

Cold crash (place the finished starter in the fridge) for 24-36 hours, decant spent starter wort off of yeast cake. Pour chilled fresh starter wort on top and put it back onto the stirplate. You might want to pick up some firmcap as well, so you don't get foam-over in the flask.

You can enter the yeast date in the tool on the yeastcalc site to see if you need to make a larger starter for either step. IMO/IME, that's going to be your better bet. Just be sure you have enough DME to make the two steps. Same 100g to 1L ratio on the DME. I use a high precision scale for such things (or anything under 11oz).

What do you mean when u say .5L
Step 2 .75L?

What do you mean when u say .5L
Step 2 .75L?

That's the amount of starter wort to make/put in the flask. First amount is added, once chilled, then you pour the yeast in. Second amount is made after cold crashing and decanting spent starter, then poured onto the yeast cake in the flask.

So first step is a half liter of starter, with second is 3/4 of a liter in volume (added to the yeast cake from the first one).

It's really easy/clear on the yeastcalc site. Make sure you enter the born/made date for the yeast pack/vial though. That will influence the size starter you make.

Back