Yeast Starter vs. Yeast Activator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yeast Starter Kit vs. Yeast Activator Kit
Just recently started Home Brewing and my first two 5 gallons batches I used Dry Yeast packs. I was talking with a few people in the area that Home Brew as well about using something different. With a split between using a Yeast Starter Kit vs. a Yeast Activator Kit, I am still not sure which way is better. I like the fact that the Yeast Activator Kit requires little effort. I do not own the necessary equipment yet to start a Yeast Starter Kit, but it seems that the cost in minor for the equipment. I’m leaning towards the Yeast Starter Kit idea, since it is a smaller scale model of the whole home brewing process.
I could use some Pro’s and Con’s for both a Yeast Starter Kit vs. Yeast Activator Kit?

:mug:

I'd go with starters. the yeast activator packs can still be used to make starters as well. With a starter, you can ramp p the proper amount of yeast for the beer you are brewing. With an activator pack, you get what's in the package with a bit of a wake up call.

The activator is much easier, but if you get in the habit of making starters, you'll be much better off.

I was going to go into a long diatribe about yeast, but instead I will just refer you to here. As far as equipment for a starter, you could probably round up most of the stuff in your house until you get a kit. I used a V8 splash container for a vessel and made the wort on the stove in a pot.

You should still make a starter with the Activator packs. The activator wakes the yeast up and gives them a little fuel, a starter makes yeast cells reproduce to the proper amount for your beer. The Mr.Malty site is an invaluable resource when it comes to starter information.

I make starters. I personally think it's the way to go. It may be more work but it's more control and more time you can spend on your hobby. If life was easy all the time it wouldn't be worth living so do the extra work and reap the rewards.

Since I was used to just pouring the liquid/dry yeast right in, I did so with a yeast activator packet, only thereafter noticing that you're supposed to smack it and wait 3 hours. Is my beer going to be ok without doing that, or do I need to go buy some more yeast?

I'm not familiar with a yeast activator kit. You might be thinking about the Wyeast Activator Smack Packs. I wouldn't consider them a kit, and they are not a substitution for a starter. Wyeast claims the Smack Pack has enough yeast to be pitchable in 5 gallons of wort, you will probably be under pitching. Same goes with White Labs "pitchable" vials.

You really don't need any equipment to make a starter other than a vessel that will hold 2L and extra DME. There are a lot of threads here on how to make starters.

Latest posts

Back