yeast starter substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thach1aj

Reaction score
Is it alright to use regular table sugar instead of dme for a yeast starter? If not what would be a good substitute?

No. The yeast lose the enzyme that is required to metabolize the sugars in the wort if they grow on only table sugar.

If you can't get DME, there is a product called Malta Goya that I understand some have used as a starter. It's a carbonated malt beverage that you can find in the ethnic section of the grocery store. I've never used it but others have. You'll probably want to make it flat before you pitch the yeast. Also, its gravity is a lot higher than you want for a starter, so dilute it.

I've done it a few times with table sugar, and my yeast never seem to forget how to be yeast. From an evolutionary standpoint it is very unlikely that such a dramatic change would occur over a short period of time, especially when there would be little to no evolutionary disadvantage to retaining said enzyme.

Back