Yeast starter + stir plate: let it ferment out completely?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westchesterBrewer

Reaction score
I'm doing my first yeast starter ever, and it happens to be in a stir plate. It is the Wyeast Trappist ale yeast in a 2L 1.04 starter and has been stirring for 24 hours. I can tell the yeast has multiplied, but it is clearly still fermenting due to the amount of co2 bubbles being generated.

I read that at 24 hours i should call it done, but i am unsure. Do I let it continue until it is fully fermented out? Will be pitching this into a 1.076 tripel. Thanks!

Either works. It is really a quite forgiving process.

The only thing I would caution is that 2L is a pretty big volume. I'd recommend putting the starter in the fridge for a day and then decanting off the extra liquid.

I let my starters go 24-48 hours. I am also new but as far as I know the yeast multiply in the first 24 or so hours and ferment afterwards (you dont need your starter to ferment just make more yeast).

In about 20 minutes I am going to pitch a starter of some S-04 I harvested from a previous batch that has been on the stirplate for 24ish hours.

Back