Yeast starter smells - should i use??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrump

Reaction score
Hi, I'am going to be fermenting a 5 gallon batch of wine shortly so I thought I would prepare a yeast starter. I know that it isn't a good idea to make a starter from dry yeast but the kit only came with this type and I thought I would experiment. I started by boiling half a litre of water together with a squeezed orange and 2 teaspoons of sugar. I let it cool and poured the solution in a conical flask together with the yeast. I put this on a stir plate and let it mix for 2 days. I put this in a sterilised jar and left it in the fridge. Today I took the jar out the fridge to acclimatise before I prepare the wine. I opened the jar and I smells like strong sweaty feet. Is it ok, or should I ditch it??
The yeast is sitting at the bottom of the jar and looks white. I didn't see much in the way of fermentation in the flask? Is it ok???

Hi, I'am going to be fermenting a 5 gallon batch of wine shortly so I thought I would prepare a yeast starter. I know that it isn't a good idea to make a starter from dry yeast but the kit only came with this type and I thought I would experiment. I started by boiling half a litre of water together with a squeezed orange and 2 teaspoons of sugar. I let it cool and poured the solution in a conical flask together with the yeast. I put this on a stir plate and let it mix for 2 days. I put this in a sterilised jar and left it in the fridge. Today I took the jar out the fridge to acclimatise before I prepare the wine. I opened the jar and I smells like strong sweaty feet. Is it ok, or should I ditch it??
The yeast is sitting at the bottom of the jar and looks white. I didn't see much in the way of fermentation in the flask? Is it ok???

I don't think I've ever had a yeast starter that smelled great. Have you smelled the liquid yeast vials? Not a delicious aroma.

Wait - you made a starter using table sugar and OJ??

I'm pretty sure that's First Degree Yeast Abuse.

Wait, let me check.

Yup, it is...

I'd spring for a fresh yeast packet from the LHBS, rehydrate it properly, and pitch that instead of whatever tortured souls you have in that flask...

Cheers! ;)

day_trippr said:
Wait - you made a starter using table sugar and OJ??

I'm pretty sure that's First Degree Yeast Abuse.

Wait, let me check.

Yup, it is...

I'd spring for a fresh yeast packet from the LHBS, rehydrate it properly, and pitch that instead of whatever tortured souls you have in that flask...

Cheers! ;)

As I am making wine I got the idea from YouTube. Could I make a starter from wine yeast using DME or is that wrong for wine yeast?

I don't know about sugar and OJ for a starter or wine yeast. But it doesn't sound right to me.

I also don't think it is necessary to make a starter with dry yeast, even wine yeast.

I also am not familiar with wine yeasts smells but my beer yeast starters smell anywhere between bad and terrible.

kh54s10 said:
I don't know about sugar and OJ for a starter or wine yeast. But it doesn't sound right to me.

I also don't think it is necessary to make a starter with dry yeast, even wine yeast.

I also am not familiar with wine yeasts smells but my beer yeast starters smell anywhere between bad and terrible.

Yes good advice. Difficult to find a store that sells liquid yeast in England. My starter is possibly fine but I don't want to risk wasting 5 gallons of wine costing £23. Especially when it needs 4lb of sugar costing £5. I'd rather buy a couple of packets of dried yeast and sprinkle it on my wine knowing that it'll be fine.

A yeast starter with water and OJ, on a stir plate, eh?

I smell a troll. Or a really crappy home brewer, not sure which.

SpeedYellow said:
A yeast starter with water and OJ, on a stir plate, eh?

I smell a troll. Or a really crappy home brewer, not sure which.

Ouch!! I suppose there is always one!

Back