Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrangeCatBrewery

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter with 1/2 cup of Pilsner DME and 1 pint of water and added Wheat Yeast (Wyeast). I am going to add this starter to a Wheat based Extract. I read something that said the starter wort needs to be the same extract as the main wort. Is this true? Since I used Pilsner Extract will the yeast starter be ok for a Wheat beer? :drunk:

You should be just fine. The reason is just so whatever yeast cells do the best in that particular wort are the ones that you have the most of. It's optimal but by no means necessary.

I use 0.25lb dry malt extract and 4 cups of water, boil for 20 min, cool, pitch yeast. I let the starter go until fermentation has stopped and all the yeast has settles to the bottom. When it comes time to pitch the yeast I pour off 90% of the liquid, swirl the yeast back into suspension with the remaining liquid, then pitch.

Using this method I've never paid any attention to what malt extract I use and I've always had great results.

Thought so.....I want to brew tonight and I started getting alittle nervous. I broke the smackpack on Monday and boiled the wort on Tuesday. Gonna brew tonight...think I should wait another day? The yeast has fallen, white layer on bottom and no activity on the top of the starter.

I use 0.25lb dry malt extract and 4 cups of water, boil for 20 min, cool, pitch yeast. I let the starter go until fermentation has stopped and all the yeast has settles to the bottom. When it comes time to pitch the yeast I pour off 90% of the liquid, swirl the yeast back into suspension with the remaining liquid, then pitch.

Using this method I've never paid any attention to what malt extract I use and I've always had great results.

Will try using .25 lb dme next time.

Thought so.....I want to brew tonight and I started getting alittle nervous. I broke the smackpack on Monday and boiled the wort on Tuesday. Gonna brew tonight...think I should wait another day? The yeast has fallen, white layer on bottom and no activity on the top of the starter.

I have put off brew days by a day or two because my starter wasn't ready.
I use a clear half gallon growler so I can monitor the progress.
If you can, carefully look and see if the "wort" is clear, if it is and everything is solidly settled you're good to go.

When pouring off the excess liquid, make sure you do it slowly so as not to disturb the yeast, otherwise you'll lose good yeast or have to wait for it to settle again.

good information.....I think I may wait another day. Wort is still hazy. Original plan was to brew on Friday but I was going to bump up the schedule.

It sounds like you did everything just fine. Let it go for a couple of days then you'll be all set. You can decant the liquid off the top if you want, or you can just pitch the whole thing.

I was thinking of pitching the whole thing. I figured that 1 pint in not very much pilsner to add to the wheat extract.

The reason I wouldn't pitch the entire thing is because if you taste that liquid you're going to find it's fairly nasty. I prefer not to put those flavors in my carefully crafted brew.

The starter did not smell good that is for sure......But I did pitch the whole thing yeast wort and all. Fermintation took off like a rocket. I looked at it the next morning (saturday) and the airlock was about to be blown off. As of today (sunday) the high krausen period has ended and the airlock has been put back on.

I have a good feeling about this batch. I will be back to report anything new or out of the ordinary.

The starter did not smell good that is for sure......But I did pitch the whole thing yeast wort and all. Fermintation took off like a rocket. I looked at it the next morning (saturday) and the airlock was about to be blown off. As of today (sunday) the high krausen period has ended and the airlock has been put back on.

I have a good feeling about this batch. I will be back to report anything new or out of the ordinary.

Congrats on the brew.

Back