Yeast starter question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoE_fosho

Reaction score
So I'm doing a black IPA kit and it says to use a yeast starter. I bought the starter kit with the beaker thing, now do I use my whole Wyeast packet in it or do I save some of the Wyeast to put in the whole wort once it's cooled? Thanks in advance, and the extract kit is from northern brewer.

Put all of your yeast in the starter. It makes sure it is all ready to rock and gives it a chance to multiply so it's not stressed trying to do that in your fresh wort.

ENTIRE yeast pack goes into the starter wort. Pour it into the flask (which is what you should have, not a 'beaker thing') and then place it onto the stirplate (put the stirbar into the flask) and get a vortex to form. Let it go until it's complete (use either sanitized foil, or a foam stopper NOT an airlock on the flask) then chill 12+ hours to get the yeast to settle to the bottom. Decant the spent starter wort, leaving just enough to get the yeast into a slurry. Then pour the slurry into your fermenter after the beer wort is in it.

I know there are more than a few threads about making, and using, starters here. It's not rocket science you know... Look at the 'similar threads' at the bottom of the page.

BTW, use 100g of DME to 1L of water when making the starter wort.

Don't forget to shake the yeast pack before you open it and then swilr a little before you pour it into the flask. If you don't you'll prorbably leave a lot of yeast behind in the pack.

Back