Yeast starter pic w/krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kryolla

Reaction score
Here is a pic of wyeast 1056 starter on a stirplate. I made a 1.5L starter. Made a batch of beer and pulled 2 cups. Pitched 1L leaving 500ml than poured 2 cups to make another starter which will be for the beer I make tomorrow.

starter12.jpg

thanks guys it Joes Ancient Orange Mead that I made back in Feb with blood oranges. Did you notice my wifes huge wine glass she is such a wino, she goes through a 6 gal batch of island mist in a month :drunk:.

yeah its the foam stopper from NB but what I like about it is this from their website.

"Breathable foam stoppers will withstand boiling or autoclaving temperatures"

ah, I just ordered those stoppers too from NB. Do you really boil with them on? I wondered about foaming.

ah, I just ordered those stoppers too from NB. Do you really boil with them on? I wondered about foaming.

I do full 2L boils in a 2L flask and just use a few drops of fermcap and have never had an issue. I use the foam cap or a foil cap, either one works great.

This is how I do it

boil the starter in a pot and water in the flask then dump the water in a pyrex measuring cup and the starter in the flask and top off with the boiled water. Then I bring the flask with starter up just until it starts to boil then put the foam stopper on and into a water bath. No more boil overs and no silicone in my beer

Back