Yeast Starter (not same old questions)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BK_BREWERY

Reaction score
So i pitched into my yeast starter last night and put it on my recently ebay purchased magnetic stir plate for 30 bucks, everything looked great. i woke up this morning and checked on it and the temperature of the starter was ~85?!?! i felt the magnetic stir pate and that SOB was hot as hell. is has no heat function so thats just operating temp (probably cause its so old) and heated my starter to 85. guess i'll be in the market for a new stir plate that doesn't blow.

my question, is the starter ruined and should i make a new one? or can i salvage this one? how? I'm making a IIPA with a 1.067 SG

thanks

As long as you're planning on chilling and decanting off the spent wort, rather than dumping the whole starter into the beer, it should be fine. Most sacch. c. will tolerate higher temps much more than lower temps...so don't worry.

this was california ale yeast wpl001 i believe, and yes i do plan on decanting and pitching slurry. What should i do in the mean time i won't be around to shake the starter very often?

Back