Yeast Starter mild explosion??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zandrello

Reaction score
So I will preface by saying I have read some of the other "yeast starter explosion" threads. I have been brewing for over a year and a half, but this is my first yeast starter.

But I do have a couple questions. As far as I was aware, yeast starters are not supposed to foam up and have a thick tall Kreusen and stuff. Every vid I ever saw made it seem like, b/c they are in constant motion b/c of the stir plate, that they were unable to produce a Kreusen.

Now, I won't say I'm unhappy with the Kreusen, b/c that means I have viracious healthy yeast, it just sucks having to clean up the mess. Should I take the foil off, and swirl it around a little to release a bunch of the CO2? Or just leave it with the gentle lava "boilover" that is happening? Obviously the positive pressure will be keeping anything gross out so that's good.

But anyways, I guess my overall question is: IS THIS NORMAL? I don't wana have to clean up a mess like this every time I make a starter.

WP_starter.jpg

Also, the other thing I'm worried about is this: IF IT KEEPS BOILING OVER LIKE THAT, AM I EVENTUALLY GOING TO LOSE ALL MY YEAST CUZ THEY ARE MOSTLY ON THE TOP RIGHT? LIKE, THERE WILL BE NOTHING LEFT IN THE FLASK EXCEPT SOME WORT? I DON'T WANT TO LOSE ALL MY HAPPY HEALTHY YEAST!!

Seems like that flask is pretty full, that might be your problem. I did a starter last friday and it formed a good inch of krausen but it was only 1L in a 2L flask, probably equates to the same amount of foam but yours is more concentrated at the top. Also did the stir bar get thrown and thus stop spinning? I find it hard to tell sometimes if it's still locked on.

Seems like that flask is pretty full, that might be your problem. I did a starter last friday and it formed a good inch of krausen but it was only 1L in a 2L flask, probably equates to the same amount of foam but yours is more concentrated at the top. Also did the stir bar get thrown and thus stop spinning? I find it hard to tell sometimes if it's still locked on.

No the stir bar never did get thrown, thankfully. That was the first thing I checked this morning. I have a POT knob on the side, and I can tell if I speed it up, the stir bar starts rattling (like it's going to get thrown), then I immediately slow it down again. Plus there's still an obvious stirring motion if I shine a flashlight on it, it's pretty obvious.

But yeah, idk, i was told that it is "most common" to make an 1800mL starter. My flask is 2000mL; do you think next time I should just do 1L ??

Depends on what your brew requires, a 1L starter was fine for me since my brew was only 1.054 and my White Labs vial was only like 2 weeks old. What was your OG on the starter? From what I've read it's best not to go past 1.040.

Depends on what your brew requires, a 1L starter was fine for me since my brew was only 1.054 and my White Labs vial was only like 2 weeks old. What was your OG on the starter? From what I've read it's best not to go past 1.040.

Yeah I have heard the same. Somewhere around 1.045. My OG on my DME starter was more around 1.052, so a tiny bit stronger, but not much. I just figured, more for the yeast to eat! But yes the higher gravity could have a little bit to do with it blowing up I'm sure.

Back